BX 4x4 ABS Sensors

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

BX 4x4 ABS Sensors

Post by Anonymous »

Hi, I've got my prop shaft support and bearing sorted out for the 4x4, and the car going, but my ABS sensor stays up. Has anyone successfully removed the ABS sensors from their suspension arms ( either front or rear ) and if so how did you do it? Looks like they're supposed to be adjustable, but they're not moving at all.
From the service.citroen parts site it looks like the rear sensors are no longer available ( NFP ). Anyone got spares or know whether the front sensors can be used with wiring mods/connections?
Thanks, Gordon
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

the sensors can be removed, i've done it once, took over 4 hours with a hacksaw and thearm was destroyed by the time i'd finished. Basically the metal corrodes around the plastic and locks it in place. I was deerate to get the sensor out so could afford to waste the time, it worked fine afterwards, bu extreme care was taken (i hate taking care).

GSF car parts where selling the sensors.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

removing from the front is simple! one bolt and they pop out! not doen the rears so cant comment!
there is a test proceedure to check which sensors are at fault,
http://www.bx16valve.co.uk/Files/abs.pdf
worked a treat on mine!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Vanny, Timmo,
Thanks very much for your answers. Just hope I don't have to replace them! I'll do the diagnostic check first. I can't find anything on GSF parts, so I'm hoping I don't have to go that far.
Cheers, Gordon
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Getting them out intact is impossible as vanny says unless you destroy the arm. However that assumes you have an arm witha good sensor!!! the problem is not the sensor itself but more commonly the cable so in theory you could repair it with new cable all spliced back together and sealed with epoxy.... Bodged in other words.
I just bought a new sensor from GSF for £70 but as the ABS is shite anyway I wish I hadn't bothered.

ollie
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

The sensors are the same on the pug 405, except that there is a different connector on the end of the lead.

That is no problem , as you can splice the cable.
The cable is coaxial but this is not a high frequency RF signal so just make a good connection and wrap the joint in self amalgamating tape etc.

I did this years ago on a BX and it worked very well..

It is probably the cable that has broken, but if it broke near the hub end you will have to replace the whole thing anyway.

Mike
BrianK
Tick Over

BX 4x4 ABS sensors

Post by BrianK »

I had a sensor light stay on. Check the foot of the loom from the ignition switch. On ABS cars there is an extra green wire that connects outside the loom connector to another little green wire . Have you put a new ignition switch in? If so you may have a non-ABS loom.
I'm too old for this
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

so thats where the supply is! I've put mine through a switch now as i couldnt figue out where the break was. I bet thats the problem!