BX16v.com Forum - Major Changes

Forum rules and announcements about the use of the site and forum.
Vanny
Web Support

BX16v.com Forum - Major Changes

Post by Vanny »

This thread will be used to make all users aware of changes that take place to the board software and configuration, that way theres no suprises!

format will be as follows;
date - 28/04/2007
changes - module name and version or details of change
effect of forum - brief explanations of how the change affects users/mods
Last edited by Vanny on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

28/04/2007
Ratification of forum names.
All forum area names and descriptions have been changed to match a standard use of 'BX 16v' and 'BX 16valve' rather than the hodge podge mix. All descriptions now end in full stop.

No significant effect on users, most won't notice, simply cleaning up!

28/04/2007
Change of area name.
Have changed the title of the members area to express more clearly that Luke has control over access to the members section.

Will hopefully help new users identify who to contact for access to the members area more readily.
Last edited by Vanny on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

28/04/07
Antibot Mod
Antibot mod changes a number of system variables in order to block robots adding new accounts.

On the face of things new registering users will not be able to see any changes to the system, however robots which add most of the spam users will be totally confused and unable to hack the system to create spam users. This should see an end to spam robaots and has indeed worked succesffully on other forums i manage!

This will need monitoring to ensure its success.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

18th June 2007
Removal of 'Newest User'

In the on going battle with the spammers, i have removed the 'newest member' link at the very bottom of the front page of the forum (in the WHo Is Online box). This will stop some of the spammers 101 dodgy accounts beign quite so obvious. The anti bot mod didn't help as mush as i had expected and we are still having problems with spam account generation. Research is pointing to the fact that google robots scan the site every hour and this is how we get found by spammers. Blocking the robot is not a solution as it will limit the searchability and popularity of the site by google. Will atempt to limit the robot activity and see if this will limit the spam accounts, but initial attempts have failed!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

4th October 2008
RAC Mod (anti spam)

Lovely new mod which should stop spammers pretty much dead (for now)

it is now required that users type in an authorisation code when registering. To find the code they must go to a remote image.

This is the ultimate solution, if this doesnt work then i'm sorry i have failed :( Its worked wonders for other sites, i hope it works as well for this. I would expect less than 10 spammers a week in the immediate future.
Last edited by Vanny on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

17th January 2009
Reslution of 'non sending emails'

As a result of a direct request the send mail has been looked at and resolved. A mixture of ISP changes, corrupt files and incorrect configuration settings meant that while the forum was sending the emails, they where not getting out of the domain server. The has now been resolved and all email related functionality should be returned.

Ref use SMTP, host = localhost
Vanny
Web Support

Re: Forum development and resolutions

Post by Vanny »

19/06/2014

Sudden and unexpected upgrade to PHPBB3
Significant improvements to the appearance to follow
Vanny
Web Support

Re: Forum development and resolutions

Post by Vanny »

10/08/2018

Forced upgrade from 3.1.12 to 3.2.2 and PHP 5.4 to 7.2
Vanny
Web Support

Re: BX16v.com Forum - Major Changes

Post by Vanny »

22/11/2018
Update PHPBB to latest version 3.2.4
Vanny
Web Support

Re: BX16v.com Forum - Major Changes

Post by Vanny »

25/03/2022
After putting it off for far too many years, the forum has finally been updated to PHPBB 3.3.7 (current available) and the SQL version updated to 7.4. This resolves issues with posting, and the 'contact us' feature.