Geek post!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Geek post!

Post by djoptix »

I have trouble with my G4 ibook. Yesterday it froze (didn't even give me a kernel panic grey screen) and then when I restarted it, I get a folder with a flashing question mark on it. Have tried the following...

Booting in safe mode; won't boot

Inserting OSX install CD; comes up with the apple, then a grey 'no entry' sign

Inserting OSX install CD, holding C to force it to boot from CD; gets to the apple sign, then hangs

Booting in target disk mode; boots OK, but then on another machine, although I can see the drive and the capacity, there appear to be no volumes on the drive.

Next to try; taking it apart to check all physical connections, removing the RAM and booting from Diskwarrior CD...

Any geeks out there have any other ideas?! Or failing that - has anybody used a hard drive recovery service and were they any good? Found one for 99 pounds, no data no fee, which I might have to resort to. There's data on it that I need :(
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

your going to be a little stumped here. It sounds like the drive has lost its allocation table (best case scenario) or the memory has packed up (which could have caused the above!).

Wouldnt turn to an external company too quickly! For Windos i use http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm but they don't do anything for Mac's, have a hunt around though!

If you can connect to it from another machine you might be in luck, if you take the HD from the laptop and stick it as a second drive in another machine you'll be able to recover the data with a piece of magic software! At the end of the day you need to ask whats the data worth? And if its worth £100 then why didnt you have another backup?

which reminds me <reaches for DVD> must do a backup