16V (nice and tidy valves) no more troubles

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

ideal!!
good to hear its sorted relatively hassle free!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Yeah :D and I'm so very pleased about it (the owner even more offcourse)
Took us a long day to put it all together, but its more then worth it!

When we bleeded the coolingsystem prior to taking off the cilinderhead, mostly water came out. If we take a look at the headgasket its clear to see that it suffered from the calcium, there are several holes in the gasket (in places where it doesn't really matter, but that sh*t just falls in the coolingsystem) so we had to clean a lot, and wouldn't ya suspect it.... the heaterradiator just broke down :lol: so he can't drive it until we place a new one, luckily I've got one for spares so tomorrow We'll have to do yet another job. And then just drive it and see if she holds it all together. But everything looks and feels fine. So lets hope I did a good job!

Here are some pics from the job:

On the left the original cilinderhead of the car, on the right the one I had laying around. both not too useable as you can see :D

The owner removing the exhaustmanifold from his cilinderhead

Placing the manifold on the new head.

I wish I had the two extra cars to put them on :lol: (and I wish all these heads were good too)

The engineblock, still with some fluidgasket on it

Another pic of the block, you can see some rubbish inside it.

New gasket in place

And the cilinderhead in position.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
mechuccio
3000 rpm

Post by mechuccio »

Well she's holding up quite good so far.
Offcourse some small problems would occur.
The previous owner didn't care too much about his cooling fluid, mostly water came out, so offcourse now the heater radiator is leeking, we've ordered a new one and install that tomorrow.
And the starting is giving some issues. the engine turns-stops-turns-stops-turns-turns-turns and fires. When running its like a charm.
We've measured the voltages of the battery, they all seem fine. Tomorrow evening we'll check the connections, and switch batteries, (mine's fine) and see if that gives any improvements. But apart from that it looks as everything went fine.
You can't spell slaughter without laughter ->I just love my 16V<-
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

it may be a starter motor issue matey?? possible break down in the wires?? one easy check is to run a cable from the battery to the starter and see if it fires over fine (make sure its out of gear or you'll run your self over!!), am sure mine had a similar issue to that, would turn over then slow then turn over faster, think it was a combination of battery and starter?? although i wired in a starter button wired direct with a beefy relay to elieviate the old wiring issue's and then found it was the starter motor! but since putting a Zx Td one on its been great! (td ones have 1.1 hp instead of .9hp on the petrol models! just make sure it has the same number of teeth on the starter!)
fires up on the button every time now! even after been sitting for months with the battery disconected on fathers drive way!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
ed_straker
3000 rpm

Post by ed_straker »

And do yourself a favour and buy a new starter motor...
I changed that stupid thing a year ago...you'll have to remove the inlet manifold to get to it.
Honda Civic Type S