Look what Ive bought!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Look what Ive bought!

Post by tim leech »

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

oooh, you lucky B#gger!
typical, havent looked for bx bits for a week or so and Boom, there's a part i'd have liked! hahah!
good on you tim! make them sound Good with that in!!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

i thought long and hard about bidding on that, the only thing i can see that is good about it is it being stainless. I love the sound of the 16v engine as stock so i'd rather keep in that way. With the resonator box i suspect there is no real gain to be had from a propper link pipe and that if time and money allowed the better solution would be a straight link from front pipe to rear box, obviously it would all have to be custom then which means its not plug and play like this!

Tim, you MUST report back on how it sounds once you've got it fitted.

At least being stainless it should last a bit longer than a standard silencer tho!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

vanny, hwen i bodged my old system, i cut it from the start of the bend into the cross box to the end of the bend out of the cross box so the pipe went straight, had resonater and backbox, and it sounded Fantastic! would burble nicely on overrun and would offer the occasional pop and spit the odd flame by all accounts! when i caught the resonater on the inlaws driveway i simply chopped it out and put a section of flexi in place, and i have to say the difference in noise was quite somehting! 1/2 an hour in it and it gave me a headache! sounded too loud imo! also the the burbling and popping dissapeared!
makes for a very nice sounding system with the crossbox out!! and does free it up in the higher revs too! and mine did spend a LOT of time in the higher revs! :twisted:
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

hmmm interesting. Dont like back firing (there is a place and a time for that) on a road car, but it does meet my expectations that the front resonator does much of the work!

Maybe i should play some more, stainless pipe aint expensive if you know where to get it :D
Toddman
Administrator

exhaust

Post by Toddman »

Been through this conversation several times and have tried many combinations of exhaust along with RR sessions.
Back in the mid 1990s I had a P1 with a std system all bar a Sebring back box I ran an almost straight link of flexi-pipe to remove the cross bax and apart from an increase in noise level didn't feel the car was any quicker.
With the current white valver it too had a std system when I bought a Devil link pipe and Devil tailbox after several attempts at fitting a bigger resonator to tame the noise I gave up and sold the link pipe and threw out the resonator fitting a Scorpion cross box with the Devil tailbox, RR results seem about the same whatever combination I have tried.
However the racer ran a custom 2 box system without a resonator and some overseas members have done back to back RR testing with and without the resonator and they seem to think loosing it is a good thing it certainly did not harm the racer.

I am about to replace my Scorpion cross box with a Sebring purely because the Scorpon is very raspy.

My money says anybody sitting in the back of a valver will not like a link pipe over 50mph.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

For £21 Im happy, plus my valver hardly gets used and has a stainless back box on already (scorpion) which makes it quieter than a standard 16v but looks the part so anything that makes it sound fruity is good! 8)
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Sounds great, if a wee bit loud lol, ah well, its done 100 miles in the last year so I can live with that! 8)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one tim!
100 miles in a year! weell, by the time i eventually move mine back down when i finish the driveway i think i may be close to mounting a challenge on silliest small amount of miles a year lol! (its done about 25 miles since the mot lol! all of it being from the mot place back to where its stored hahaha!)
when i get mine home i will do some proper bits to the exhaust instead of the flexi pipe thats lasted 3 years hahahha!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

After driving home its not as loud as I imagined and has a nice burble at motorway speeds, it does however sound like a whaling banshee at 7000rpm coupled to the K&N! 8) Noticed much iproved throttle response since the new front pipe with splitter has been fitted.

I take it the front pipe without the splitter is best chucked in the skip?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

haha! up where it should be tim! 7k baby!
does allow it to rev a Lot quicker though!!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

tim leech wrote:
Most definetly, or fashion it into a weapon!
But it's naff all good as an exhaust for a valver..
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

docchevron1472 wrote:
tim leech wrote:
Most definetly, or fashion it into a weapon!
But it's naff all good as an exhaust for a valver..
Worth asking though just in case anyway wanted it for nowt.
Toddman
Administrator

pipe

Post by Toddman »

The pug boys are happy to use them so you might get a couple of quid on ebay.

From all the research I did it seems the non-split downpipe releases 1 or 2 extra BHP right at the top of the rev range but ruins torque in the lower revs so as already said bloody useless on a valver.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Ok Luke thanks for that, will stick it on ebay!