Swapping ignition barrels

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

Cheers vanny,but what is this?

"Don't worry if you cant get an ABS barrel, there are differences, but only a small fly lead from the ignition switched live for the ABS. Easy to add on separately!"

Iains BX has a wire scotch locked to one of the red wires,and disapears behind dash,do you think that is what you are telling me?
Does undoing the break away bolt give any probs putting it back?
Steering rack? under the car? or have I miss read?
1988 16v

2002 S-Type "R" (rocket?)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

It has a better name than break away but its basically a U-clamp bolt with has to be totally removed (not just loosened). The bottom half of the column is securely attached to the pinion so wont go anywhere. You wont get the splines to match up perfectly on the u-clamp but the splines on the steering wheel mean its very easy to get the steering central again.

As for the wire, its possible, but prehaps more likely its a badly installed alarm feed or sensor. Most of the alarm cowboys i've seen love to chop into your wiring loom anywhere they can and dont care about doing the job neatly/properly. Easiest thing to check is pull the scotch lock apart (which can be done without further damaging the wire) and see if the ABS ligth stays on/ABS pump relay clunks on.
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

Got me thinking now.Iains car hasnt got an alarm fitted.and the ABS light has never worked either.Always passed the MOT too.
And thanks to the thief,I have easy access to the column.

Now I get a call from my other son.Hes lost the keys to his mates Mondeo.
"What can I do dad?" Its a fairly new ST220,so that looks like a dealer tomorrow.
Bloody kids !!!! :lol: :roll:
He lives up near Stoke and was visiting here,went out on the p^%$ last night by taxi,now cant find the keys to go home.
1988 16v

cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

I've had no replies from Breakerlink,so it looks like a new one.
GSF stock them,well on their website.
1988 16v

ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

You don't need to take column out to change a lock, if you can't get the pin to release the easiest way to shift it is swipe it with the grinder! or else hack saw a slot from the pin hole to the edge and then just lever it up to allow pin to slide under.

Also have vague recolections of trying a ZX lock which didn't work, and the new Valeo supplied Ones from GSF look different to the originals but do work.
Frenchracingblue
Tick Over

Post by Frenchracingblue »

Hi, I must have changed over a hundred of those locks! a sharp whack with a lightweight hammer on a punch puts the pin straight back in the lock, and it stays there, just don't ever think about reusing the lock if you find the key.
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

cheers guys.I hope to give it a go tomorrow.
I found an ignition switch in my shed.I didnt remember it was there.I dont even remember buying it !!!
1988 16v

cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

Great I got the old switch out.Give it a good one or two with a hammer and punch.
Need to get the battery charged now.
1988 16v