Earth Leads

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
cossie
4000 rpm

Earth Leads

Post by cossie »

Can anyone direct me to the earth straps? pics if poss.
I have replaced the one from gearbox to battery tray,but I still get the slugish starting when warm,or it tries to turn, like the battery is flat!
Not too good when cold either.Battery has to be fully charged when cold.
I'm trying to find out anything before I change the starter motor.
I have been given a starter from a diesel,BX.

Once shes started,she runs sweet and goes well.
1988 16v

2002 S-Type "R" (rocket?)
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Rather than messing about looking at leads just get a multimeter and set to volts.
Then attach one end to battery electrode - centre actaully on the battery. and get someone to crank it over whilst you check the voltage drop to the engine block, if you get more than say 0.5 v start checking the drop across the actual clamp, if its still on its origionals thats where I'd expect the fault to be - inside the crimped on lead end. you can use same principle to check the main positive lead and its manky clamp, and then you'll know how many volts exactly the motor is getting to play with. Out of curiosity, check the main battery voltage under load as well, however good it should be theres no substitute for proof!

Ollie
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

there are three earth straps on mine, one from the battery to the cog box, one from the battery to the battery clamp and one from the battery to the chassis, (behind the battery) is a lot easier to do the latter with the battery out, and is also a good excuse to clean up the multi plug under the back of the battery tray if you havent allready!

would also say that a worthwhile mod is to add a relay into the starting curcuit, for the sake of a tenner for all the bits needed it can help wonders! especially oif the wiring is starting to breakdown!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

Thanks Ollie and Timmo.I think I'll run her into an electrical shop,as I got no ideas on electrics.
My son Iain is going to look into Ollies idea,later today I hope.
1988 16v

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i got my earth leads form a auto electrical shop down here, the Beasty one i have a pic of in the garage (i think its with the battery pic??) cost me £8! i thought that was a bl##dy good price! the battery to chassis was a simple earth lead which was about £4 i think,

the engines like a Good healthy spark and to turn over quuickly, doing the earths can only help towards that!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

I have had a look today and found the small earth from the battery to the chassis looks coroded as the insulation is bubbled along it.I'll chat up my electrician at work and get him to make me up a good solid one.
Car wouldnt turn over today although the battery is ok.Had to jump it off a jump box.Last run her last sunday.

Thanks for your help.
Iain and I have just done an oil change on his X-Type Jag,got more oil on the drive hmmm bloody wind!!
1988 16v

Toddman
Administrator

earths

Post by Toddman »

If you are still on the original battery terminal clamps check they have not stretched - the earth clamp is a common weak point.

Ollies method with the voltmeter is by far the best and quickest route to finding the problem though.

Also worth checking the condition of the positive lead from battery to starter as these have been known to breakdown as with most of the BX wiring they are not the meatiest of leads.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

I called Chevronics in Hitchen.They said more or less the same,also my battery is 063.I was told its the wrong one.I took it back today,under warrenty,and got it replaced with a 075.The car wizzes over now.Just have to see what happens whens she warm.
I also replaced the earth lead to the chassis,with one I had made up at work.I'll run her to work tomorrow,see what happens.
1988 16v

cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

Well,she runs and starts fine now,even when shes hot.So,so far great,no need to change the starter.
Just found I got an oil leak from the back of the rocker cover,drips onto the exhaust.
Can I buy just a rocker gasket on its own?
and should I apply some hermatite stuff to it?
1988 16v

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

rocker gaskets are quite a common cause of oil drips, iirc you can buty them on there own, you tend to get two types, one which is just the rocker rubber seal, and the other which is the rubber seal and the Big O rings for the plug holes, the last one i got was just the rocker gasket,
somehting is telling me it was about £12 but i cant be too sure as it appears to be one of the receipts i didnt keep!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!