Front Bumper Lower Recesses.

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
prm
Tick Over

Front Bumper Lower Recesses.

Post by prm »

Always been puzzled by the two squarish type recess on the front bumper - to the left and right of the spot lights.

They appear to look prime for disc brake cooling ducts, air intakes.??
Or, are they just cosmetic.

Can any forum member enlighten me?

Many Thanks

Pete
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

They're cosmetic as far as i know, although they're prime for turning into brake cooling ducts :) The last owner of my car used it as an air intake feed for a plenum box in front of throttle bodies..only thing with that is if you get caught in a flood, you wack your suspension in top to get through it whilst laughing at all who are stuck behind it, forgetting that you're gonna scoop up water :lol: If i was using it as an air intake, I'd use it to just direct air to a filter in an enclosure, if you dont make it a solid connection then it just directs air at it, or if your box has enough depth to it you can make it an air tight connection and if you're lucky any bit of water you might suck in should stick to the bottom, you'renot likely to be doing 100 through any floods so its safe in all cases to be honest.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

erm, to cover the towing braket?

To be honest its a styling thing i think, take a luck at some of the kits on high spec pugs, i reckon there is something similar in places. Then luck at the structure behind, thats what determines the size of the holes!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i've often wondered about using them for braking ducts but nverrelly bothered as the brakes dont really get hot enoug to need it imo, i think Robn hasone used to feed a cone filter??

demon tweeks used to see ducting kits with various shaped inlets as such for the bumper and often though about if oneof them would fit over what is there??

(andi thnk in need to chang e batteris in my keyboard!)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

bumper

Post by Toddman »

I also beleive they are cosmetic and many people do call them "fake braking ducts"

As said they are prime for use as air intake or braking ducts and I cut mine out which looks better than the black paint on a white bumper and eventually I will run some ducting from them.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch