The BXagon Challenge

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
exvalver
Tick Over

Post by exvalver »

The BXagon Challenge was dreamt up by me and a few others on the BXC forum. In short we will be taking a number of BXs around the periphery of France (2,500 miles +) in 11 days of driving. Some of it easier that other parts, it'll include spectacular Alpine stages and a run along the French Riviera, as well as a foray into the Pyrenees and up the Atlantic coast. The objective is to raise £10,000 for Cancer Research UK through donations, sponsorship and pledges.

We meet up in Folkestone on the 17th October, cross the Channel and start at Calais, going clockwise around France on the morning of the 18th. Staying much of the time in cheap Hotels (Etap/Formule 1) or camping (Possibly Montpellier. Alaigne (Nr. Carcassone, where we have a day off and the Mayor will be laying on a Fete/Classic Car show, for some La Rochelle, all meeting up at a member's place in Brittany...). Excluding fuel and crossing, but including accommodation, food, tolls etc. the budget - certainly for our team, two of us, (we aren't always sharing rooms!) - comes to about £800. Some will do it for less.

On the 29th October we end up back at Calais.

For more information visit:
www.bxagon.com

My team's site: www.philibusters.org

And there are some dedicated threads on the BX Club forum under Events.

We'll be at the CCC National Rally in July, and now have the backing of the CCC.

If you can, why not join in? It'll be a once in a lifetime BXperience.
Long-term BX-owner (had a Ph.1 and a Ph.2 in the recent past). Currently: GTi 8v, 219k miles (!), XM 2.0CT Exclusive.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Topic split from Technical area for the following;
a) Its not technical
b) Almost thread hijacking
c) It better in general chat where is it not buried, and a little more obvious.
exvalver
Tick Over

Post by exvalver »

Apologies, no intention to thread hijack. (Just answering - in rather more detail than appropriate, maybe - the query posted).

Thanks for moving it to a more suitable location, Vanny. :oops:
Long-term BX-owner (had a Ph.1 and a Ph.2 in the recent past). Currently: GTi 8v, 219k miles (!), XM 2.0CT Exclusive.
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

You're on a hiding to nothing posting here - the price of petrol most of us 16v owners wouldnt be able to afford the trip to Dover, let alone all around France! :D

Anyway, my valver has been "The Green Hornet" since the late 90's :P
exvalver
Tick Over

Post by exvalver »

OK, the 'Green Hornet' name is used elsewhere then! I hope your 'Green Hornet' will be there in spirit if nothing else!

Although as I write this there is at least one 16v doing the Challenge...

To think I was going to do the BXagon in my GTi auto! That was going to cost over £425 in fuel :shock:
As it is, the TZD turbo is doing 54.8 mpg so the fuel cost will be more like £245.. even allowing for the load it'll be carrying. And as our team should alone be raising £1,500 or more for charity then it's OK by me.

8)
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

Fuel economy on a BX16V is not so bad on a run (which the BXagon is)
Mine does over 40mpg when driven fairly sensibly.

With fuel cost shared between the 2 drivers, and sharing a hotel room, the extra cost will be tolerable.

Mike
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

My valver is cheaper on fuel than my TDCi Focus! THe valver is also a lovely drive and always brings a smile to my face.
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

Vanny wrote:My valver is cheaper on fuel than my TDCi Focus! THe valver is also a lovely drive and always brings a smile to my face.
Montgomery Scott just called. He wants his dilithium crystals back.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

well tell Scotty he can have his bloody crystals back once he comes round my place and instals a full size replicator.
exvalver
Tick Over

Post by exvalver »

Supporting the BXagon Challenge

From its inception the BXagon Challenge has been an event for the Citroen BX and it's owners. The purpose of it is to raise as much as possible for Cancer Research UK (CRUK), whilst providing something rewarding and fun for the members of the BX Club.

But, over the past few months it has become clear that there is interest from other quarters - that is, from non-BX owners. The Citroen Car Club has joined the enterprise, offering much-welcome support, publicity and credibility.

I believe the number of teams to originate from the BX Club has reached a maximum barring unexpected last-minute commitment. The circumstances now are totally different to those prevalent last September. But in the spirit of adapting to survive we want to look to other ways of raising the number of participants.

First, there are BX owners who are members of the Citroen Car Club, and thanks to the club's support and coverage in the Citroenian magazine, as well as a determined showing at the CCC National in July, we would hope to get a participant or two from their ranks. But nothing, as we know, is certain.

Secondly, we can push the recruitment of 'Collectors' - those who would be prepared to get names on sheets, pledging support (in the form of a one-off donation or fraction of pence per mile upon completion of the event), without actually taking their BX to France (if indeed they have one!). This could prove to be a major part of fund-raising.

Then, thirdly, we can think laterally about appealing to a broader range of potential participants. Which brings us to:

A new category of BXagon Challenge participant: The BXagon Challenge Supporter.

With their vehicle carrying a special 'In Support of - The 2009 BXagon Challenge: For Cancer Research UK' sticker, the 'livery' won't be as extensive as on the participating BX's, although there will be web address and small plaque stickers. Of course, CRUK and sponsor's logos can be applied as appropriate.

This is NOT intended to dilute or diminish the core 'BX' aspect. It is all in support of the BX and CRUK. Nothing has changed.

It is intended non-BX owning participants will further bolster the team-count and funds raised for the Charity.

BXagon Supporter entry criteria:
All criteria (bar vehicle stipulations) that apply to BX entrants apply to all other participants. It is necessary that entrants are members of either the BX Club, BX Project, BX 16v Club (or any other BX-focussed group) or the Citroen Car Club.

So, what cars can take place?

Well, in the same way that the BX formed part of a range in the Citroen showrooms 1982-1994, any contemporary Citroen car is eligible:

Registered October 1982 to June 1994:
2cv, Dyane, Méhari, Visa, Axel, LNA, GSA/GSA break, CX/CXFamiliale et al., AX, XM/XM break, ZX/ZX break, Xantia (incidentally launched March 1993).

Exclusions: Commercial vehicles and Motorhomes from that period.

It gives us potentially a massive boost when it comes to recruiting teams - especially at the National in July. We have enough time to skew the publicity accordingly - adding a new page link to the BXagon website, generate a welcome pack for all comers etc. And importantly it gives any new recruits three months to prepare - if the will is there, it is sufficient. And even BX Club members who maybe be unhappy with using their BX can consider another chance to take part.

I understand the BX Club purists in particular getting worried and dismayed at this proposal. I will ensure that the emphasis is ALWAYS on the Event and the BX. But the other invited models (as a part of the Citroen range of the time) will be regarded in the context of the BX.

Although I have not yet received unequivocal acknowledgement from the CCC executive (I'm sure if there are any issues raised they won't conflict with the objective of this change) the feedback I have received is, without exception in support of this expansion of the Event. And seeing as this is in memory of AlanS; Alan Smith, I can't think he'd disapprove: After all, he enthusiastically embraced more than the Citroen BX. I just wish he was able to witness the event in reality.

I would be happy to enter into discussions about the details of this plan. Just e-mail/PM or phone.

Thanks.

Phil