Is this worth buying?

Offer your parts and cars for sale here.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Is this worth buying?

Post by djoptix »

Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

debateable really, it will only really change the inductions noise, but will save on the cost of buying new filter every year.

I have a K&N panel filter (replaces the standard filter) which doesn't make much difference to induction noise, can be cleaned, and does the job of filtering. It cost £20 from the eBay but i havent seen another since.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Think that's the wrong type to fit a BX?

The K&N 57i kits aren't badly priced brand new, but as Vanny says the main 'benefit' is shed loads of induction roar, plus being able to clean the filter element rather than binning them.

We've also got panel K&N in the phase 1 - the cone filter does appeal for a bit of under bonnet bling, plus if you've got a stainless exhaust it'll give a nice roar to the car. If it's a daily driver all year round then I suspect the cone will cause more trouble than its worth. You also need to route some suitable tubing to get a cold air feed to the filter (a genuine 57i kit comes with some)

Search ebay for 'k&n air filter 33-2539' for the panel filter - I got 407 hits! About £39 posted.

For the cone kit 'k&n air filter 57-0008' for the square entry air box (9 hits) or 'k&n air filter 57-0026-1' for the round entry. Cone kits are about 70 quid delivered, plus you'll get all the proper brackets to fit it with!

Adrian
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

I've had a conical filter on mine since 2004. No running problems and it's only noisy if you open it up.
It definately went better with it fitted. It really opens it up at the top end and lets it breathe more. I tried a panel filter once and found no difference in performance or noise, so sold it. Nicely made though, and cleanable.
Normally I'd say conical filters probably lose power in most cars as they'll just suck in all the hot air off the exhaust manifold of the 1.2 Corsa it's fitted in, but where the D6C really thrives on airflow and the position of the filter being in the corner behind the headlight I've found it's clear of hot air and definately made mine more enjoyable.

The only downside for me is that I lost the original noise of the valver induction (it's the same, just less brutal) and as much as I like tinkering, I like OE parts.
Toddman
Administrator

cones

Post by Toddman »

I would agree with Kitch here, a decent cone filter is handy on the valver due to the location letting lots of cool air get around it and they definitely do seem to allow the engine to be free at higher revs. But it won't turn your car into a rocket ship but not a bad bolt on mod.

I do quite like the K&N panel filters as well though.
The price may be off putting but the AFMs are becoming rarer as people tend to keep a spare these days.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

is the price all that off putting though? A regular paper filter is going to cost around £10 and personally i used to change mine every year, it's not going to take many years to make that sort of money back.