Who's on the road (or could be), who is Not?

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

This was 10 days ago;

Changed a bit since then mind, now has an array of AC pipes and wiring slowly going back in. I have a whole rack of rusty things in primer that need painting then putting back on the car and who knows i might start her up before christmas!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

coming on good Vanny,
dont envy you wiring and piping in the ac though!! is it as complex as it sounds??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

Looks like many hours in the garage Vanny, Christmas is not that far away :shock:. Be a rewarding present if you get it completeted by then.

How is yours Timmo? (Been doing a bit of buffing recently by the way :D )
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Our phase 1 was finally taxed at the beginning of July and went for its MOT last week, having done about 1,300 miles since the last one!

It had a top end rebuild last summer after the head gasket/head casting parted company due to corrosion of the alloy :? Had to have a replacement head, so bought one re-conditioned all the key bits sorted. Has never gone better!! Absolutely flies now :D

Ideally it still needs a below glass line respray to sort all the minor dinks and scratches after 22 years, but cost is an issue now my dad's retired. I'd still like to stick a stainless exhaust on it - unfortunately it needed a new mid box which ended up having a mild steel replacement rather than being the justification for investing £299 in stainless :cry:

All in all it's getting preserved fairly well at the moment - the garage is bone dry and heated, so it shouldn't deteriorate. The MOT was clean of any advisories!

It helps that when we bought the car back in 2004/5 we spent over £1500 getting long overdue stuff sorted (discs/pads, heater box, cambelt and pump, tyres etc etc) so given the tiny annual mileage it's done since none of that is anywhere near worn out!

Adrian
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

mine a mess dave lol! although half a day, lots of coffee would see it back to Uber shiny! 8) needs the stem seals doing desperately though, have a spare head but has bent valves from when the cambelt went back along! :cry: so just a heavy paperweight really lol!

on that note, anyone got any spare valves they no longer need/ want to sell on?? :wink:
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Timmo

Might be able to get the valve stem seals done without lifting the head? Sure there's a method that involves pushing compressed air into the combustion chamber via the plug well that holds the valves shut.

Mind you, with it being laid up so long you may want to pull the head off to check for corrosion of the waterways if the coolant is quite old. If it's all good then get the seals done on your existing head - not a big job once you've got to that point and really the belt should be done in any case.
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

Timmo, i may be able to help you out with the valves, I have a full set of good uns that i took out of my dads spare engine. I've cleaned them so they're all shiny and decoked.

Leave it with me and i'll get back to you with a price off my dad.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

adrian, coolant etc wa all new recently, but will be doing the belt etc before it see's any use! need to do the octopus which should be easier with the head off, and as there is No rush to do it and it'll be ofroad unlike when the belt went i will make sure i'm all ready to do the lot over a week say, give it a full on check over, sort out and service clean up etc!
my mech i used to use when the car qa]was on the road said there was a way to do it via the plug holes, worked on the 8v but he'd not tried it on a 16v so would be hit and miss if it worked, - planned to have the cash ready for the full job and then get him to do them which ever way but decided to take it of the road instead so was no rush!

sim, let me know matey, no major rush!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

AC fitment is actually very easy, and seems to be getting easier at every step predominantly because the system is VERY simple. Even the wiring is straight forward if you have the harness, and there is only one wire between cabin and engine bay making installation pretty simple.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

I'm parked up in the garage with a layer of dust covering the pink paintwork, with a lazy doseur, lazy pump and some rust starting to appear. TLC is needed soon! Runs sweet as a nut though!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

ME ME ME ME ME I'm back on the road!

Failed its first attempt at MOT based on headlight alignment (well if you replace the front of the car, that seems acceptable), but passed a half hour later!

Insurance is only £186 for the year too, classic limited, but i doubt i'll do much more than the shows this year.

Very very happy!
jan
Tick Over

Post by jan »

On the road as a daily driver. Needs a trans rebuild though...must double-clutch to get it into fourth. Some years ago we travelled south to Croatia with the valver I had then. Due to health problems I sold it.....but now there's plans for another trip to follow : http://epost.telenor.no/mobileoffice/?c ... k.it/LUBJP From Harstad we'll be taking Hurtigruten down to Brønnysund and then back home to Trysil. My wife prefers our Xantia HDI for the trip.....if anyone want to join us on this tour with a BX it would be great! 6 valvers coming into Murmansk.... :D
BX16V '88, BXGTI '90. And '00 Xantia HDI.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Passed MOT a couple of days ago and insured for £135 for the year. Just waiting for the month to end and she'll be all taxed up and ready to be used in uneconomical infrequent journeys, one of which will be ICCCR.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

So that's two pink valvers going to the ICCCR then!

I'm also waiting for the end of the month to get tax, but i wonder if it will go up April 1st as it seems to do every year.

I'm half thinking of going to French Car Show in June.

I've heard Luke should have one car on the road this year too!
frog
3000 rpm

Post by frog »

New tyres! Image

Yes it's getting a wash today, I only washed it last week though!