current best bet for dizzy cap and rotor?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Adrian E

current best bet for dizzy cap and rotor?

Post by Adrian E »

Hi folks

I recall reading that the genuine parts are no longer available from Citroen?

Is there a reputable supplier of good quality aftermarket that anyone can recommend?

The one currently on the car is a cheap and nasty special and the centre electrode isn't making good contact with the rotor arm so would like to chuck them in the bin as soon as I can......
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

ive never had bad experience with off the shelf at the factors, intermotor typically, that said, one unipart one wouldnt run when warm, but that came with a full top end build kit for a 405mi, technically the same part mind.
pretty much all have been intermotor when ive replaced them, (renewal of all engine firing kit every so often!)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

I find little difference in aftermarket caps and have rarely had problems.

I think the bigger issue is getting a cap full-stop! Most places are NLA and there's even only ONE on ebay now and it's over £30!

I think from hereon-in we're gonna struggle for even the most basic parts :roll:
Now listen here you mullet...
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Beru are fine, but as has been said it's not the "genuine" aspect that is important (unless you enjoy being bummed by main dealers). I *think* Duciellier (sp?) make the original units, but mine's had a Beru one on there for a few years and been fine.

I admit the Intermotor ones are a bit....erm.......not as good. Rotor arm broke up and punctured the cap on mine :roll:
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Cheers folks - my dad e-mailed Beru direct and they've put him in touch with a company in Birmingham who are sending him a cap and rotor for sensible money :D

He rang Citroen and the parts are no longer available - I recall buying from the main dealer for my K plater about 10 years ago and it was 3 figures even then!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Adrian E wrote:Cheers folks - my dad e-mailed Beru direct and they've put him in touch with a company in Birmingham who are sending him a cap and rotor for sensible money :D

He rang Citroen and the parts are no longer available - I recall buying from the main dealer for my K plater about 10 years ago and it was 3 figures even then!
If that falls through ECP stocked Beru.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Kitch wrote:If that falls through ECP stocked Beru.
They only stock the cap and not the rotor arm, unfortunately. They list a different brand for the rotor but didn't have any stock.

Even with 25% discount code from ECP it was still cheaper getting them from this place in Birmingham - will try and get the details and post here for future reference :D
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Got the details from my dad - details as follows:

distributor cap 922PC0010 @ £15.00

rotor arm 921PC0010 @ £14.50

plus vat & £5.00 carriage (UK address only) on the shelf.
Total including vat & carriage is £41.40

http://www.hansmotors.co.uk/

Contact details on the web site but no online ordering

Parts arrived today and dizzy cap has a nice sprung centre electrode and looks far better quality than the current one

Hope that proves useful to someone :)

Adrian
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Happy days!
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

A few years ago I picked up a genuine cap, arm and backing plate for just £16 on ebay, couldn't believe my luck.

I've thought in the past if there would be some way of making some sort of adapter so that a cheaper, more readily available cap and arm could be used.
XU9J4 4ever
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

We have had no end of trouble with dizzys, much like most on here- the valvers eat the things.

It is getting nigh on impossible to get bits over here in NZ, so dad ended up drilling out the cap a little, so he could fit a bigger, betterererer and easily obtained bushes/rotor(cant remember which!!!) and spring. Has worked a treat thus far.
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Jayridium
Tick Over

Post by Jayridium »

It would be great if you could find out which one your dad used so as we may copy the modification to placate these cars viratious appetite for ignition components.