Thermostat gasket

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Dave
3000 rpm

Thermostat gasket

Post by Dave »

Hi All,
I have a leak from thermostat, I think I will replace the gasket and the stat. It is ages since I have replaced these, does a gasket come with the stat and will I need any sealant?
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Re: Thermostat gasket

Post by Kitch »

Stat should come with the two o-rings (or sometimes one single O-ring that slips over the edge of the thermostat) and is then compressed by the housing bolting to the head.
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

Thanks Kitch, I have just this afternoon checked with a dealer and the thermostat is no longer available (from Citroen ) but I saw some seals on a pic. Not too clear though so your input helps a lot. :P Hopefully when I get one from whoever it will have the the seals or o-ring. Sounds like no sealant is needed anyway.

I will probably be back with more if all goes to plan :!:
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

I've just replaced mine - the stat i received (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401219862709) was marginally too wide so I had to file down the edges to get it in. It was also single stage 89 degrees instead of two stage 88-89 degrees which I was replacing. I couldn't hang around waiting for another more 'correct' part so I just went ahead and used it.

It came with rubber seals but because it was a bit too wide I just reused the old ones which weren't too bad. I then smeared that silicone instant gasket stuff around the plastic housing when I bolted it all back together.

So far so good...
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

Ok Rob, so far I have bought the o ring type Kitch referred to as a back up. I would like to do the stat at the same time so may get another one with that.
Just have to get a couple of other bits and time.