Who's on the road (or could be), who is Not?

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Dave
3000 rpm

Re: Who's on the road (or could be), who is Not?

Post by Dave »

MoRtYMer wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:41 pm Hi! Finally logged in after being away for a while.
Welcome back to the forum, you have been away for a while, 5 years! Nice to see your two cars side by side, the limo style of the CX next to the more angular BX. Sounds like you have a bit to do regarding the BX but at least you seem to know what needs attention. Keep checking in with any progress and pics when you get started as you suggest. :D
Prefer it to the Lamborghini, like Signor Gandini!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Well the car came back from the garage yesterday. Repiped front to rear, 4 new tyres, an MOT. It's taxed and insured. It had new front ebc pads and discs, new pattern hand brake cables before it went in. It's on hydraflush too.

It actually stops reasonably sharp now. There is a slight delay, somewhere between the pedal spring and I guess the ABS pipes. Still need to do an emergency stop and see if it actually locks up or if the ABS will kick in.

Nearly 300 miles last year! Plan is to do considerably more miles this year. As soon as we are allowed out.
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

That's good to here Vanny, so you are all set. Hopefully the weather will continue, April has been good so far, it is typically the month I can allocate time to the BX and I was looking forward to that in particular this year.
You have that "Hydraurinçage" in then, need to cover a few miles for that to do it's thing, + - 1000 or so?
Be careful with that emergency stop, you don't want to split that little rubber domed part on the valve.
I think you will have reasonably fresh one in there but I think they can be split regardless by an overly enthusiastic foot having spoken to a "old skool" Citroën mechanic. Understanding what is happening at the pedal as you do is a good start.

At least it is pretty busy on here even if it is just yourself, Niko9 and me. 😉
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Dave wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:41 am You have that "Hydraurinçage" in then, need to cover a few miles for that to do it's thing, + - 1000 or so?
Very much depends who you speak to! Pleides, who i bought it from a loooong time ago, used to run a car (possibly a yellow GSA) ONLY on the hydraflush they sell/sold. Its not the Total/Citroen hydraflush mind, its something used in aero industry, coloured green :D

The difference is already notable, driving back from the garage it feels much more like a Citroen BX 16v should. Not so soft that the bumps aren't noticed but far far better than say a Bentley Continental GT which is the only thing I have for a back to back comparison on those roads. I figured I might need the spheres changing as they are very old, but actually now its had a clean, they don't seem too bad. The old accumulator was marked 2006 on the box (from a photo) so that's been changed for a 'BOLK' one.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Have to say, whe. I hydra flushed the Xantia with this stuff, the difference was remarkable! From As soon as I refilled and bled it through with hydraucinacage, it rose smoother, rode smoother, broke better etc. Even ran better when I poured the old lhm into the tank..... 😬
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

My understanding is that yhe structure of LHM is long chains. With age the chains get broken up, making the fluid thinner. Hence new LHM always performs better than broken up old LHM.

But if I read that right Timmo, once you cleaned the system out with hydraflush, you put the old LHM back in and out was still notably improved in performance? Was the old LHM actually old?

My only concern with hydraflush is when I used it on the 19RD, it blew one of the rear curly brake pipes in spectacular fashion! I do wonder if the clearing of crap out of the system actually increases pressure in some pipe sections which is what did for the 20 year old pipes🤷‍♂️
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Not back on the lhm tank vanny! The Other tank! 🤪 🤪
There is always an element of cleaning off the buildup in the pipes weakening them for the inevitable pop, sure was the Xantia that popped one on the mot test one year!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

Had a run out this month, hoped for more use but the weather hasn't been very helpful.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

I'm not too worried about mine getting wet/dirty, but I avoid taking the BX in the rain due to month long stopping distances and a lack of vision due to the floppy floppy wiper.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Another year of MOT and tax for me. Needed a bit of fettling which had to be outsourced but otherwise a clean sheet;

https://bxproject.co.uk/blog/citroen-bx ... intenance/

Also made it out to the first show of the season, the CC X-Rally

https://bxproject.co.uk/blog/car-show-x ... ncar-club/
Dave
3000 rpm

Post by Dave »

Well I thought I might look in before lunch today.

Due to other interests and commitments mine has been resting up but in good health.

Should anyone else visit, Happy Christmas 🎅🎅.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

My poor thing has stayed continuously on the road for three years now. Even took it on a run to Madchester last week. Still confuses the youth on the motorway as they try to keep up :D
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Officially ran out of MOT yesterday. Grrr, far too busy to be pissing about with it. ABS light stays on for the first 5 minutes of driving. Annoyingly this has also been the first year in which I've owned the car that the ABS has worked as expected!