Problems...

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Problems...

Post by MoRtYMer »

Ok i was coming home yesterday, when the car started to fail, when i pressed the clutch, the engine die. Tryed to start it again but nothing, it turns but doesn't start...

I've checked one plug and it sparks, got fuel on the entrance of the injector ramp, what can i check more?

By the way i checked the spark plug and it's a Eyquem RFC 58 LS3. Is this the right plug? I've checked autodata and it says the right one is the FC62LS3.
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

If you have a spark and fuel, i'd be checking the timing belt next.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Forgot to say that,i checked the timing belt and is ok..

My friend that has holded the spark plug said that the spark was yellowish... Is that normal?
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

just found this

The car has been fitted with Eyquem FC62LS3 plugs. The Eyquem site lists plugs as follows for the 1.9l Mi16 :-
* XU9J4 [D6C] RFC 62 LS 3
* XU9J4-Z [DFW] RFC 58 LS 3
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Hmm so the plugs i have are for the DFW... isn't that the one with cat?
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

Yep...DFW is the 148bhp/cat version, 'though I wouldn't have thought running a slightly hotter plug in the DC6 would have much effect on everyday driving....may even be better in stop/start motoring.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

it would prolly start witht eh wrong plugs but it would run rough! (mine did when it had the single in it!)
may be worth checking the cap and arm! may be just try cleaning the contacts out and seeing if it made any difference?? then maybe check the leads???
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

MoRtYMer wrote:Forgot to say that,i checked the timing belt and is ok..

My friend that has holded the spark plug said that the spark was yellowish... Is that normal?
The yellow spark has nothing to do with the spec of the plug. That's a sick sounding colour, should be bright blue sometimes with pink tinge.
If you have access to a few bits, I'd try replacing the igniter (blue square outer case fitted to firewall) and if no luck there, try another coil before going any further.
Also check the electrodes inside the distributor cap in case they've been burnt a bit.

Alan S
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

well the car has been working with this plugs since i've bought the car, about almost a year ago, maybe they have stop working, but all at the same time? Since i've got the car, in low revs the ride wasn't very "smooth" the engine sometimes "giggle" (? lol) a little...

The distributor cap and eletrodes aren't in tip top shape, but the car was runing and suddenly has stoped, is that possible if the electrodes are gone?

I've checked them, they are a little burned. could that be it?

Unfortunatly i haven't access to bits to try out, if i can't find out whats doing this, monday morning is off to the mecanic...

I have to try and check tomorow for myself if the spark is yellow and not blue, maybe isn't strong enough to ignite the fuel misture... I'll try to clean the contacts in the cap to see if it makes a diference.

Thx for the replies

PS: sorry for the english :wink:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,
As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'd check out the ignition amplifier.

Cheers
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Basic but, take off all the electrical plugs you can see (AFM/ICV etc), make sure they are clean and seating tight, and plug them all back in again.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Toddman
Administrator

spark

Post by Toddman »

These cars like a very healthy spark and a yellow spark is NOT healthy that shows VERY WEAK SPARK.
So check the spark coming out of the coil first to see if it isi the dizzy and leads causing the drop in power, if you get a nice bright white spark out of the coil then it points to th edizzy,arm and leads but if the spark at the coil is also yellow then I would suspect coil or ign amp, so long as you have a good healthy battery.

A new set of correct plugs seldom hurts anyways.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

these ignition amps are a pain, I have carried a spare one.

They can go intermittant, or simply die suddenly.

Worth swapping as its easy, if it does not help - at least you will have a spare one for when it does!

Mike
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

And on the same line, coils are a pain - the intermotor ones last less than a year! check resistance approx 1 ohm on primary and K ohms on secondary, ammusingly they will still run whilst showing M ohms on secondary but it kills the ign amp!! again intermotor ones are Sh*t GSF currently only seem to sell Automotor. So where can i get a genuine Bosch or anything else? need one for mine! just for spares of course...

Ollie
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

odd you say that ollie! i run an intermotor coil and ig amp with no issues!!!! (and arm and cap too!)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!