Seat belts?????

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Seat belts?????

Post by Timmo »

okay peeps! quickie here!
rear belt in the car is not quite long enough to gert around the car seat on the new one we have unless you push the car seat down on the rear seat to get the belt catch in the holder! but the front is plenty long enough, so my question is this!
would it be easy or tricky to swap the rear belt over with one from the front (not from my car!! but a scrapper lol!)??????????? (assuming that the catches are thes same??) as this would make it a lot easier!!!

thanks in anticipation!!!!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

If they're anything like the AX's etc, it won't work because the belt mechanism only works when its mounted at exactly the right angle, IE when you bolt it to the car. Otherwise they lock.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

cool! i think i know what yo mean matey! hmmmn, so i suppose that the ideal would then be to seek out a pair of rear belts and holders/catch's out of a xsara / 306 etc as they should be longer?? (the wife's fiat ones are fine!!)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Toddman
Administrator

baby

Post by Toddman »

My bro had trouble fitting the baby seat in the back of my BX and all he needed to do was remove the black plastic button that stops the metal hook from dropping right down,the one that plugs intro the socket.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Timmo wrote:cool! i think i know what yo mean matey! hmmmn, so i suppose that the ideal would then be to seek out a pair of rear belts and holders/catch's out of a xsara / 306 etc as they should be longer?? (the wife's fiat ones are fine!!)
But they're probably not mounted in exactly the same position as a BX either? So they probably wouldn't work in the same way.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Hmmmn, i will keep my eyes open for similars when next down the yard to compare i thinks then!

Luke, the little plastic button is okay on the seat, its just the belts about an inch to two too short to make it easy! (i suppose in one way is good as you know littlun will be well strapped in!!)
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Don't change seat belts on a car unless it's a like for like swap - you'll have no idea how well it will work, and in many cases won't be suitably approved. EG one from the front of a modern car is only approved for use in conjunction with an airbag - it will stretch more because it knows any risk of head injury will be taken care of by the airbag.......unless there isn't one :shock:

I seriously wouldn't mess about with belts - but if you're serious I've got a link somewhere at work to a company that will take your existing belt and replace the webbing, fitting a larger retractor at the same time.

It's still less than ideal though - if it were me I'd stick with what you know works.

Adrian
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

is it possible to buy an extender like those they have on airplanes for rotund people?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

an extender owuld be great but! witht he position of the buckle in relation to the seat it would be in the wrong place!!
one way to do it maybe would be to get a spare catch of a scrapper and get my local sail maker to replace the strap with an inch longer section and hten have it in as an extra for use witht he car seat off the original mounting place???
that should do it and would remain safe!?!
will have a look at the way they attatch tomorow!!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

You can buy fat b*****d extenders, but they're not very safe - I forget the load that's put on a seat belt, or the assumed occupant mass (from memory think it's about 75kg!) - but either way, adding another weak point in terms of 2 joints will only reduce it's ability to restrain a load and in Timmos case will probably result in buckle crunch meaning you won't get the CRS tight - Timmo your idea falls into the same category, would work in principle but may alter the H point which will cause problems not only with the CRS but for an adult as well.

If it ain't got a lable with a type approval mark (either BSI kite mark or EC approval) it should fail an MOT

Adrian
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

whats a 'H-point'?

im starting to like this topic, it's quite interesting!

Timmo, i have a full set of belts and bits from an AX if they're any use to you, but i guess rather than risk the tot it might be worth seeking professional advice?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Adrian wrote:
You can buy fat b*****d extenders, but they're not very safe
really made me chuckle that, nice one :lol:
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Adrians right about not messing with retracteables but I think that the ones from a Xantia are at the same angle and would neatly solve the problem, also any misalignment in angle would make them more prone to lock on would it not? rather than less likely? in which case better anchored not less?
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Vanny wrote:whats a 'H-point'?
I'll have to look up the 'official' description, which will make your head pound! It's basically defining a point through which the seat belt path must go. It's usually assessed using an H point manekin which basically looks like a torso that gets strapped in with the seat in its centre location

Will see if I can find the definition!