dizzy cap and rotor

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Well apparently the new dizzy and rotor have sorted out the poor running on the phase 1 - apparently it'll happily do 30mph in 4th or 5th :roll: :shock: and will pull in either gear from that speed :D

New leads won't arrive for a week or 2, so unlike mine when I did rotor/dizzy/leads all at once will be able to see what difference just leads make.

Adrian
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one adrian! good to see your dad's giving it beans then! :D
the magnecore leads are 8mm arnt they?? certainly look good from the set i saw on robs red one!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

They do 8mm and 8.5mm but they're totally different construction between the two. The 8.5mm are proper silicone leads, which I think most people have gone with on here.

They also do 6mm (same range as the 8mm) and 10mm (which are too big for the space available, and really intended for turbo applications)

Adrian
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

PSA were a bit tight really. On the 1905cc 8 valve BX and 405 they did away with the dizzy cap system around 1990 didn't they? Replaced it with that cool distributorless motronic 3.1. ... So why the hell did they not do the same for the XU9J4!!!!!!!! grrr
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Ar*se i ve just crushed an 8v GTi with that system on! was working too!! Oh well have plenty of things to be doing beside tinkering with one that works!

Ollie
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

kriskarrera wrote:PSA were a bit tight really. On the 1905cc 8 valve BX and 405 they did away with the dizzy cap system around 1990 didn't they? Replaced it with that cool distributorless motronic 3.1. ... So why the hell did they not do the same for the XU9J4!!!!!!!! grrr
Whats not so cool about the distributorless system is that they seem to break now and then, and the unit is very expensive :(
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
there is loads of zx's in the scrappys up here, is it easy to do. i.e do you need to change the ecu loom plug + wiring or not?

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Toddman
Administrator

Post by Toddman »

thanuttiscotsman wrote:hi there,
there is loads of zx's in the scrappys up here, is it easy to do. i.e do you need to change the ecu loom plug + wiring or not?

cheers rossco
It is quite an in depth job mate - until someone does some clever trickery you need the ecu and loom and basically you convert your Motronic to a 3.1 system.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I have not looked into this, but it might be possible to piggyback the distributor onto the existing ignition system.

Mike