Problems...

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Ok problem solved. :D

There wasn't a air leak, they changed the coil (i think that the name, its the part where comes the cable to the dizzy) and it was ok... Before they changed the ignition amp but no result from that so they put back the old one.

The plugs they fitted are Bosch Super Plus (plus YTTRIUM) - FGR7DQE+.

Well the car now revs much better than ever before (at least since i've bought the car), got to go for a "fun" drive to check if it accels better too. :wink:
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one matey! glad you got it sorted out!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Ok, there are some problems yet... :?

Now the car get's a little too hot.. when before didn't get to 90º now goes to 100º.... I've got to put the heater in max so the car goes to 90º....

Could the changes that have been done do this? Could the thermoestat be bad?
:?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Does the radiator fan work properly?
If it does, next step is checking the thermostat, easy work.
Was there anything done with the cooling system when you had it at the mechanics? If so, you might got air in the system. Try bleeding it.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Ok checked the problem today.

The hose that goes in to the radiator is hot so the thermostat should be ok.

Now the hose that goes from the radiator to the engine, that one is too cold... So it might be so cold that the fan switch is too cold to start the fans when the temperature at the thermostat is ok to start it...

I've talked to the mechanic and he told me that the radiator should be obstructed so it needs to be cleaned...

I'll have to have the heater on so i can use the car, so the car looks like a sauna... lol

It is dificult to remove the radiator? Do i need to take the fans off so i can take the radiator off?
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Bleed the cooling system.
That's how they go when they have air in them.

Alan S
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

MoRtYMer wrote: It is dificult to remove the radiator? Do i need to take the fans off so i can take the radiator off?
No you dont need to remove the fans.
Toddman
Administrator

plugs

Post by Toddman »

On the plugs front it is BCP7ET.

The number rises the cooler th eplug runs at so a 7 runs cooler than a 6.
In practise you can usually see the difference in the heat rating by looking at the clearance between the centre electrode insulation and the body of the plug - the bigger the gap the better the cooling.

Does sound like you need to clean and flush/bleed the sooling system Mortymer, worth fitting a diesel fan switch as well if you haven't already.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Well the radiator was cleaned this week, the thermostat changed and of course the system flushed, but the problem still continues... There is a little change on the temperature, but still gets higher than before...

And the other day, i've gone up to 5500 rpm's in 4th and after 1 minute, the car was working very bad, when i accelerated it didn't go upper than 2000 and was misfiring...
I've turn the engine off waited some time, and then the car was ok again...

Now the engine is "failing" below 2000rpms most of the time... runs rough below 2000 rpms most of the time.

When they changed the spark plugs on the car, they have adjusted the CO level on the car, it was on 1.5 and they adjusted it to 0.90... Could that be causing the temperature problems? Is it worth it to go there and get the CO level to 1.50 again?
Toddman
Administrator

heat

Post by Toddman »

The car will usually run hotter when a weaker mixture is used so that ,may be part of the problem.

It might be worth checking the temp senders just incase one is causing the ecu to do eratic things.

It could even be the coil or ign amp breaking down due to heatsoak I know a few people have said the coil is not exactly mounted in a healthy place.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch