How bad can rear arm bearings be?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Tim2cv
3000 rpm

How bad can rear arm bearings be?

Post by Tim2cv »

Hey, My new 16v has a very sloppy back end although they are not kinked over too far. The picture was when i was having the tracking done, this was the 'target' on the rears for the front setup.

anything over 55-60mph on the main roads and it gets a huge wobble on.
Also, when pulling away the arse of the car seems to really sit down and almost like its a huge effort to move it along as if its dragging its arse....?

Bit odd really. The suspension is nice and smooth to go up and down and fast and has new spheres too. Anyone else had the same problems?

TIM
2CV6 1986
AKS 400 Super ;o) 1300cc!
Ami 8 1971
Xantia Exclusive credit crunch 2.0
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Sounds like the rear spheres aren't 16v ones. If the bearings were shot the ride would be firmer.
Tim2cv
3000 rpm

Post by Tim2cv »

I asked GSF for 16v ones... should be...
2CV6 1986
Ami 8 1971
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

But when did you ask? they used to have a habbit of sending out Normal Gti ones untill Amtex did the proper ones! prob about 2 years ago tho..

Rear arms are easy to check by jacking up with load off and shaking with hands! tracking guages aren't neccessary!! rock them hard in ALL directions as some can appear OK in the direction expected cos the hole is full of old bearing bits! sure sign is being able to see the outer oil deal breaking up as the cup wears through the arm off centre.......
Other reasons for that wierd feeling are stiuck or wrongly adjusted height corrector links, you can get ride height corrrect whilst still getting a floating sensation, essentially its a delicate balance of anti-roll bar clamp posn v gaps in operating arm link rods. Or indeed a knackered hight corrector. which is rare if well maintained.

Ollie
Toddman
Administrator

ride

Post by Toddman »

Like Ollie suggests a badly adjusted ride height can cause a soggy suspension - lowering the height often makes the ride soggy and soft so worth checking the correctors.

I ran std GTi spheres on the rear and they only really bogged down if the car was given a bootfull on take off :twisted: but definitely worth checking if your GSF is anything like mine.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

I know that this was told before but check if you got the right spheres...

My valver has the spheres all messed up... On the back there are the 16v front ones so the back is more soft than a BX 14....

On the front it has the spheres from the GTi, so it isn't right too...

Try to get the code on the sphere to try to see if those are the correct ones.
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

I wouldn't worry too much about that 5 degrees shown on the wheel alignment gear, after all, IIRC aren't rear wheels on BXs (I know they were on CXs) supposed to be alignable? If so, I would imagine negative camber is the way they would be so that the tyres would tend to roll on to the tread rather than onto the sidewalls. If it's smooth in operation, there's a good chance the bearings are in alright shape.
We noticed after we'd done my swing arm bearings that the rear tended to dip when the car was given a bootful from a standing start and at any time a hydraulic Cit will always be much softer at the rear than the front and I agree, incorrect spheres can tend to exagerrate this effect.
The correct height for a BX is either 155 or 165mm from the ground.
To check this, with the engine running and set at normal ride height and on a nice level floor, measure between the underside of the front crossmember and the concrete at the front and between the underside of the round rear crossmember at the rear. Don't touch anything!
If adjustments are needed, get over a pit or at a pinch up on a set of ramps and adjust by trial and error by taking up on the ramps, adjusting, taking off and back onto flat surface, remeasureing and so on. Adjust via the clamps attached to the roll bar and not by the rods that run front to rear for adjusting incar height.

Alan S
Tim2cv
3000 rpm

Post by Tim2cv »

the 5 degrees is the front wheel difference . I was looking at the line not being upright!

cheers

TIM
2CV6 1986
Ami 8 1971
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi tim,
i may be wrong here but im sure im right as ive had this issue with my 1.4 bx in the past :cry: . basically the rear wheels are at a slight angle but not a big one :o . if you get the car at normal drive height drive it round the block when you come back park it up get out and when standing about 15 feet behind the car look at the angle of the wheels from there. even if you nothing about these cars you can tell the difference between a slight angle like just and no more or the leaning tower of pisa. if your car resembles the leaning tower of pisa more then your bearings are probally gone and the arms will probally need replaced too :shock: :roll: . i put new bearings in my 1.4 bx and re-con arms and it was perfect after that. if your car has o towbar then thats probally half the reason. people use these cars alot for heavy towning which buggers the bearings. every bx i have seen with a towbar fitted, including my valver has had bearings changed or like my valver will need them done soon. hope it helps,

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

oh yeah tim these bearings and arms can actually get so bad (like my 1.4 bx) that when you go round corners the inside of the rear tyres hits the car body giving a tyre screeching squeking sound. but by then you can see they are at a serious angle. and from what ive been told/remember when the bearings go you need to change them to avoid damaging the arms more and having to replace them.

thats what i learned when i bought a bx 1.4 for 100 quid

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

When i just had my bx, it's behind did not drop unless i helped it a bit....and then fell down to earth.

Failed it's apk (dutch mot) on this point and together with my brother we put new bearings in the rear arms.

What came out had nothing to do with bearings anymore :roll:

With new bearings and LHM it was as good as new.