track rod ends

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

track rod ends

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
anyone know just how we go about changing track rod ends and how easy is it? i have never done it before and dont want surprises. do you need any special tools or new washers or anything?? always good to learn!! 8)

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Toddman
Administrator

rod ends

Post by Toddman »

Not actually done them on a BX but most are similar.

The end will be either threaded like a bolt or nut and it screws onto/into the steering rack arm and is locked in place by a lock nut - so to remove you wire brush it up and use Plus Gas or WD40 to free it off.
The other end is usually a taper fit into the steering arm on th ehub and secured via a nyloc nut which is usually replaced with new ends.

You need a ball joint splitter to get the tape rout or clever hitting with a pair of hammers.

That is the basics - A Haynes manual preferably th eolder brownish/grey covered one is very usefull :D

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

from what i have been told an easy way is to mark the place on the rack with something like a paint spot where the end of the track rod is then undo old one and replace with new one! placing new one up to mark from old one and Bingo!
I ma sure its a smidge more technical than that but having never done one i can only say what i have been told!!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

cheers guys,
thats cool. i have taken tapered bits out before. im pretty confident about it. just need to secure the part now. i just dont want to upset the tracking.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

It's very straight forward and is essentially as dictated above. However, no matter how careful you are marking where the old one was, it's always worth getting the car tracked after. A few beer tokens for a track is alot cheaper than a new tyre every 3 months......

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

your right doc, i'll have the garage test her after ive fitted the part.

cheers rossco