help need piccy

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

help need piccy

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi folks,
got me a new oil temp sensor from luke but i seem to be missing half the wiring on the car thats required. now i know there is a 2 pin connector goes over the g/box and the sensor plugs into that. but im missing all the wiring from the over g/box connection to the sensor. does anyone have a picture or can they explain the section of wiring im missing so i can make/re-wire it myself.

now i know one wire is connected onto the end of the sensor and has a little nut on the end to secure it, but is there another wire that goes anywhere else or connects to anything else??

please help cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

hi mate

there are 2 sensors to do with oil on the back/bottom of the engine: the oil level sensor and the oil temp sensor. the oil temp sensor only has one wire, but the oil level sensor (plugs in about halfway down the block on the back) has 2 wires.

you may be getting the 2 confused?
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there,
it is definatly the oil temp sensor im dealing with. is there only 1 wire from the sensor that joins the loom? or is there another wire that connects?, im sure its a 2 pin connector, i need to know if the other pin is connected to something?

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

there is only one wire that goes to the loom from the oil temp sensor, so stop panicking :wink:
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there,
tis ok im not panicing, i just want to know what to expect. i take it the loom side plug only has one wire on that as well?

rossco

RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

IIRC it goes into a multi connector (can't remember how many soz!) shared with, among other things, the oil level sensor wiring (which is two wires). there's a circuit diagram in haynes which amazingly for haynes is actually quite useful!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

k shall investigate tomoz.

rossco :D

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

That actual loom goes to most things on the engine except injection which is separate. The wires goes to: Oiltemp, oil level, watertemp x2, oilpressurelamp, oilpressuregauge, back light, starter and alternator.
The most exciting about it is that all cables are black! It has 2 connectors, one with 4 pins and one with 8. It is normally located under or behind the battery.

Edit: Forgot whats important. In the 4-pin connector pin #1 is to the oiltemp.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there,
thats great iam going to tackle it in 2 hours. will hopefully have a working oil temp gauge for the first time yet.

cheers rossco

thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hey folks,
was at my garage yesterday but could not find the 2pin black connector on top of the gear box. im sure i looked and found it before but couldn't this time. was raining yesterday so could not go under the car but will do so today. im going to try to tackle the brake caliper today as well.

wish me luck rossco. :D

thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there peeps,
been back at it with no sucess. :cry: now its starting to annoy me!! :evil: was looking for the wire to connect my new sensor to but could not find anything over the gearbox to plug it into. the only wire dangling around there was a very thin single green wire which came from a square brown 2 pin connector. now im sure thats not it.!!!! :evil: now i need someone's help now, can someone take a looky under their bonnet and tell me where the oil temp sensor wire comes from? (i.e under inlet mani), where it goes over the gearbox? what colours are the wires how many and what colour is the plastic connector etc etc. please its really starting to bug me. surely someone can take 5 mins to take a peek at their car. :?

cheers rossco

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The oil temp is located at the rear side of the oilpan. It has a single wire tha gets attached on the sensor with the nut. Normaly it should be together with the oil level sensor cable (wich has a two wire plug) under the exhaust manifold.

843 is the oil temp sensor
835 is the oil level sensor
855 & 840 are the water temp sensors
I Hope this helps.
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

one other thing i noticed from my car:

the oil temp sensor wire (which is green i think) should run through a black plastic shroud round the back of the engine to protect it from getting worn away by the driveshaft.

i say *should*: my plastic shroud thing has pretty much worn away now.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there,
thanks for the wiring diagram. :D i have my sensor in the sump just no wires to plug it it. i have new wiring and connectors. i have connected the wire to the sensor end but didn't know where to connect the other end of the wire. but i can see on the diagram it piggy backs with the level sensor. i will get down under and have a look at the level sensor which works so there must be some wires down there somewhere. :wink: :D :D :D

cheers v much, rossco

thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hello again,
and many thanks for the help. i jacked her up today went under and spied a green wire. i connected it to my sensor and hey presto it worked. all my dash bits work now. wwwwwooooooohhhhoooooo!! 8)

cheers rossco