Completely off topic but Citroen related

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Completely off topic but Citroen related

Post by Channel Hopper »

I am looking for a cheap van to start some work outside my usual satellite installs and have been recommended a couple of vans as reliable/relatively cheap for parts.

One that has come up is the Renault Kangoo which has a decent loading (uprated suspension for British Gas use) and fully panelled out, but..... it has a seized engine

Without going through all the sites in the hope of some answers maybe someone here already has the insider knowledge.

Is the Renault Kangoo van (from pre 2000) the same chassis design as the Citroen Berlingo van ?

and if so is the engine bay the same as older Citroens.
As I have a converted BX here that bit the dust when my neighboir wrote her off I have a low mileage Xantia 1.9 turbo diesel engine doing nothing useful and was hoping it would be relatively simple (well a few days work) to transplant it into the vans engine bay.

Any ideas ?
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

Just carrying out a couple of checks I cannot find the Renault Kangoo 1870cc engine specifications on any website (unlike the BX / Xantia / Berlingo DW8/DW10 etc), so the Citroen van link may have been a red herring.

Does anyone have a pointer to Kangoo sites that will show the engine in more detail ?
Apparently it has the same characteristics as the Nissan Kubistar.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

generally renault dont share engines etc with citroen! psa groups sahre lumps but renault tend to go alone as such!
i dont think they are the same chassis either!
there should be plenty of spares aobut for them though as htye are a very popular van!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Citroen C15d vans are old and basic, but pretty much indestructable! and very cheap.
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

Whilst I would happily go for the C15D, I need to carry a set of ladders (including a 5m ridge ladder), which would stick out some either end of the smaller van.

I had been looking for a BX ambulance, as an alternative, but they are like rocking horse

http://cgi.ebay.fr/MINIROUTE-CITROEN-BX ... dZViewItem
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

why not just buy and old transit. they are cheap fairly reliable and plenty in the scrap yards.

rossco :wink:
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

Needs to be (relatively) rust free - I do have to impress when I turn up on the customers doorstep (otherwise I would simply drive up in the £20 BX estate - she is still running .....)
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Kangoo,s are not the same as Berlingos, but the car versions of the renault are plentiful for spare engines.

Early berlingos are now affordeable 1000 ish and are also solid and rust free on the whole, you may find a"cheap Kangoo" isn't by the time youve got hold of a later spec engine! tho you could fit an old Megane or 19 spec unit easily enough, add up your time first.
Complete P reg berlingo is cheap! as for that matter are roof racks...... smartening up a BX is quicker than an engine swap and a darn sight cheaper too.
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

Thanks

The Kangoo went for more than I was willing to pay anyway, so I am now on the hunt for a (straight) Berlingo.

I will miss the BX estate when she is put out to pasture as she has done more than I ever expected in 11 months for the initial outlay of £50 (+ suspension bearing/ front disc and a few cosmetic adjustments. She ran happily on veg oil for most of the summer, and only broke down once (leak in fuel filter housing - cured with two pack gum).

If the job takes off then I will be bringing the BX16v back onto the road and the other engine bay/engine transfer will be completed in the kit-car.