Citroen BX Christmas Quiz

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

more xmas quiz questions:

Post by Mike E (uk) »

11. Why does the instrument backlighting not switch off with the lights?

12. Why does the parcel shelf fall into the boot, when a few days earlier it fitted fine?

13. Why does the rear of the car not sink down after you have fitted new spheres etc, then sinks down normally again overnight after a few days?

14. How does the small amount of air get into my rear suspension circuit when I do not use the car for a few weeks? This causes the rear to kick up under braking. After the air is bled out it is normal again.

15. Why is there no key switched accessory 12V for the radio fitted?
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Mike wlecome to the joys of owning a BX! There not perfect and have their faults but its what give them character! :D
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

11. cos the French designer thought it would be much more funny to watch 'the english' slicing there hands to ribbons after premature bulb failure.

12. Thats a feat of engineering.

13. Probably the condition of the LHM. Mine had new spheres at the front at Stratford and still stays up for ages, however the rear spheres are goosed and that goes down within seconds, making the car look rather silly!

14. Pass, is it the LHM fairies?

15. cos the French designer thought it would be much more funny to watch 'the english' have to jump start the car and subsequently recharge the battery everytime the radio is left on while you go shopping!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the answer to all mikes questions cou;ld be done as 'Because its french'!!! :D
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Vanny wrote:9) dont know what the official line is/was but i suspect it wasn't feasible at the time due to the size and mass of the pistons, i suspect that the significant differences between the 1.7 and 1.9 would mean a need to finely balance the 1.9 more so than the 1.7, and techniques weren't available! The real reason of course was that by the time the R&D team had caught up they wanted to keep the 1.9TD for the Xantia, i mean if you could buy a 1.9TD Estate BX off the line, why bother with a Xantia diesel at all?

10) i guess Diravi but havent a clue
The official line was, according to Citroen UK on a course I went on in about 1998, was 'the 1.9 block is too weak, and will NEVER be turboed. They then brought out the Xantia 1.9 TD a couple of years later, using same basic block as 19RD....
So your explanation is no doubt the true one.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

10. The single Wiper or the front-wheel handbrake?

Otherwise i've given nothing to this and i'm gonna go stand in the corner with my dunces hat on :(
Now listen here you mullet...
RichL
Tick Over

Re: Citroen BX Christmas Quiz

Post by RichL »

1 ) The rise in the stock of your local parts supplier whenever you buy a Citroen

2) Likely to Explode

3) There was a lorry drivers strike and stock of the long ones ran out, so they fitted two short ones together until new stock arrived.

4) To create a smoother drive system for the dumb waiter from the galley to the bridge, so the admiral's drinks could arrive stirred, not shaken.

5) To worry the driver into taking careful note of odd noises from the car, thereby decreasing official service intervals.

6) Any one where you have to go near the car.

7) Upanddownium.

8 ) Oil slicks. Following the stock market crash 'Black Friday', unemployed yuppies found their country mansions with their oil-fired heating systems hard to pay for, so they'd creep out at night and slide drip trays under the cars of unsuspecting motorists and hope to sneak them off before morning.

9) Because times were hard, and the 17RD badges took slightly less plastic to make than the 19RD badges.

10) The bodyshape. It was only allowed in when Citroen lawyers cited the entire output of Austin Rover from 1970 onwards as evidence that cars that odd looking could be used on the roads without creating a public nuisance.

15) To give the Steering-Rack-Shim-Fitting department at the Citroen factory something to do. It was too much trouble to make them redundant and their union threatened to send the entire country out on strike if they were asked to retrain.

:D
RichL
Tick Over

Post by RichL »

Seriously, I'd imagine 10 was probably the swivelly headlights.