Sunroof

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
jayw
5000 rpm

Sunroof

Post by jayw »

I'm probably gonna wish i never asked (as is the case with most jobs on a BX) but how difficult is it to change the complete sunroof?

The one in the white one is quite rusted around the inner frame, leaking & generally knackered.

???

Cheers, Jay
Now listen here you mullet...
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Can't speak for a BX, but we did one recently on a Mazda MPV that everybody told us was a dog of a job, so much so that it's considered the main reason they get sold because nobody wants to face up to the work involved. It sounded daunting as the hoodlining was supposedly to come out etc, (as it will have to with a BX also) but it turned out to be nothing more than time consuming; possibly took about 5 hours all up.
Biggest hassle with the one we did was realigning things whe completed as it is a monsterous size and tends to bind up as it gets close to closing, but after about 3 attempts we got it right.
Biggest problem I could foresee with the BX would be all those crappy little torx head screws that rust out. I'd be inclined to just grind any off that didn't move the fist time and redrill & replace when refitting.

Alan S
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

This is not a bad job, but it helps to have an adult helper to help lower and raise the heavy tray.

Hardest bit is getting the A pillar & C pillar trims off in one piece.
Warm them with a hot air gun to make them a bit more flexable.

The whole roof lining comes out as one big tray.
remove the glass panel 1st to reduce the weight.

It is hooked onto the rear edge of the roof, so it moves forward to free it.

With it out, it is easy to clear the drain holes, and replace that metal strip at the front that rusts away. Well worth giving it a good clean and lube with it out of the car.

Also secure the wiring behind the passenger visor because it rattles.

bon chance!

Mike
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Cheers!

Something for next weekend me thinks.

Jay
Now listen here you mullet...