GAS FLOW??

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

GAS FLOW??

Post by Anonymous »

HI gonna get my stem seals done in the new year and the mechanic sugested havin the head gas flowed and ported etc? what u recks worth it? whats the likely improvements??
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

IMHO your money's better spent elsewhere, bear in mind that this is one of the best designed heads there was, PSA spent a lot of cash getting it right and although there will be small difference from unit to unit they generally flow pretty well as stock.

If you're really serious then best bet is put it on the flowbench first and any engineer worth his salt will probably tell you there's little to be gained. Either that or they'll rip you off.
Now listen here you mullet...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

so where do u think i should invest to increase performance?
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

If you feel you need more power, are you sure you are getting all 160 hp?

I would get it checked on a dyno before spending any cash.

My car is unmodified but feels plenty powerfull enough for the body.

The only way to get a serious performance improvement for less than £600 is a nitrous kit.

While the head is off, I would get it decoked and the valve seats recut.
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

When we rebuilt the series one engine, we did it at a place that does high performance work for some of the top racing teams in the country, as we know the owner it was done as a matter of convenience and having everything we might need constantly on tap.
He volunteered to flow test it and the results according to him was that it was better than these Cleveland V8s they use in the V8 supercar series after they've been modded and that any work done could be detrimental to its performance.
We opted for oversized inlet valves and a MoTeC engine management system. The result was that at the sprints that year, he took 5 seconds a lap out of a 5 litre V8 time. The rev limiter was upped to 7800 to use the bigger valves to full advantage.

Alan S
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

I'd be inclined to agree with Mike, people are seldom willing to go into such high dollars on our cars for little gain so NOS is a good bet at £250 +/-.

It's also right that you're unlikely to be getting the 160bhp without some fettling.

And Alan's right that any headwork is likely to do more bad than good. (that's where a lot of the puggers go wrong & end up running 150 and can't work out why).
Now listen here you mullet...
Toddman
Administrator

head

Post by Toddman »

The head is indeed superbly designed BUT the manufacturing employed is varied to say the least. I have seen many heads including my own with very bad flashing insode the ports.
You will benefit from a good flowing job but don't go mad on the ports unless moving to bigger inlet valves.
A general clean up and smoothing with the aid of a flowbench will help alonmg with well machined 3 angle seats somebody like QEP will look after you.
You only need to go mad if serious work is being done elsewhere but if the head is off a good gas flowing will definitely not hurt, a nice inlet cam will work well with this as well.

Cheers
Luke
Last edited by Toddman on Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
if you dont want to get a mortgage but want a little more grunt then i would go with induction kit for better throttle response maybe back box for sound and would go the chipping route, from this you will maybe gain up to 10bhp and a more smooth rapid acceloration but all this i would only attack after getting the std performance checked and some repairs if nescessary. also maybe some better leads and plugs as you may get an again better throttle response from the better power flow.

i have my car k+n'd and a pug sport chip fitted. iam very happy with the performance with my car especially the sound is wkd at 7500rpm.

cheers rossco :wink:
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

thanx 4 the advice nutti how much would i expect to pay for the chip? have got a k and n lined up on ebay but if anyone knows where i can buy one a bit cheaper please help!! cheers all..
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

If fiiting the K n N make sure you duct some cool air to it, its very easy to get a fruity noise but harder to get a power increase if its just sucking warm under bonnet air! the orig air box is passeable and should get a cold air feed from the pipe work over the top of the Rad. check its in place and not too crumpled..

As for heads a clean up to remove casting flash won't harm and should be very cheap! just don't let any one mirror polish it or hack the ports out any larger.

Getting it up to good standard spec is prob far more important, just choose your technician wisely, anyone used to bolt on bolt off fault code only diagnosis won't be able to help! and never underestimate the power of worn out components - ignition and AFm being particular favourites.