diesel engine

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Anonymous

diesel engine

Post by Anonymous »

ive come accross a pug205 which was given to me, its a 1.8TD non intercooler, the head as gone , so im thinking of puting another engine in but thinking of puting a 1.9tdi or 1.8tdi , ive looked at the wiring loom on the 205 and on a 1.9tdi from a ZX and the wiring is abit different , theres a few plugs where on the 205 theres single wires , ive not yet seen the wiring on a 1.8tdi , im just wondering anyone knows if the wiring is the same as the 1.8 non intercooled engine or if theres a easy way to put the 1.9tdi in?
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

1.8 TD none intercooler? did they make one?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

They did but only in the Pugs.

Wiring a diesel is REALLY easy, you need a switched feed to the alternator(comes through the battery light as well), stop solenoid and the glow plug relay, and a switched line to the starter. Thats it! Nothing else! Any other wire is simply for sensors (temp light/guage etc) so as long as you don't go getting an engine from a car thats had an imoboliser you shouldn't have a problem wiring it in!

If you do get an engine with imoboliser, get the key pad and the rest of the wiring, get a second hand NON imoboliser pump from me and sell the imoboliser pump and code on ebay for £200+. Unlocking a locked pump costs £800 at a dealer as they have to send the pump away to be fixed, to replace just the pump costs £2000 to get a whole unit mapped to the keypad.
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

Vanny wrote:They did but only in the Pugs.
BX 17RD/TGD? :shock:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

all the citroen 1.8 tds were all intercooled , the pug 205 and 309 used the 1.8td but with no intercooler which produced 78bhp , the 405s 1.8 were all intercooled and all cit/pug 1.9s were all intercooled.

i think the wiring is abit different because the 2051.8 as a lucus pump and the ZX1.9 as a bosch pump , all the wires are in the right places just different connctions , my ZXtd volcance is on a Nreg and dont have a keypad imobliser , i plan to take the engine out of the ZX to put in the 205 , theZX as failed its MOT needs about £200 spending to pass it
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

So a 205 D turbo is 12bhp down on a Bx, I didnt know that
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

although the connectors are physically different they will still perform the same function. On an N-plate you'll likely have some of the later and aditional sensors (such as the totally pointless over boost, and the crash switch off device which can simply be unplugged if memory serves).

the 1.7T-intercooler pugs weren't the last of there kind as Xantia's also had a 1.9turbo engine without the intercooler and was simply called the 'SD' (rather than TD) and the turbo ran at lower pressure than that of fully grown TD.

Its a process that still continues today with VAG specifically the smaller cars such as the Polo and Lupo to which turbo engines without intercoolers are fitted!

The wires i commented on earlier are all that a diesel needs to run, they dont even need a battery once started. Infact (not including modern 'electronic' diesels) if you remove the stop solenoid and bump start them they will run quite literally for ever, they don't actually require a power source to work (usefull if your ever stuck in the desert with a flat battery and a full fuel tank!)
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I just thought a 1.9SD Xantia was another name for a 1.9 D, what sort of bhp were they Vanny. The 1.9TDs werent quick.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

the 1.7T-intercooler pugs weren't the last of there kind as Xantia's also had a 1.9turbo engine without the intercooler and was simply called the 'SD' (rather than TD) and the turbo ran at lower pressure than that of fully grown TD.

yes i do remember the SD model

do the looms come out easy?
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

Vanny wrote: Infact (not including modern 'electronic' diesels) if you remove the stop solenoid and bump start them they will run quite literally for ever, they don't actually require a power source to work (usefull if your ever stuck in the desert with a flat battery and a full fuel tank!)
Have you ever tried bump starting a diesel on sand ? :lol:

I've always wanted to refit a starter handle, having had a couple of BMCs in the past. Over 30% of callouts at this time of year are down to batteries that won't turn the engine over.

My last 16V had the Xantia 1.9TD fitted, and as confirmed by Vanny, there were very few wires from the loom that were fitted anywhere in the engine bay. No need to worry about dashboard warning lights, the previous owner had removed most of them.
Last edited by Channel Hopper on Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Hmmm, 1.9td Xantias where 92 bhp with estate initially at 92 but later limited to 86 bhp. Stnadard 1.9 was supposedly rated to 72bhp (though i reckon they put out more like 68 ), i dont remember exactly but i would have expected around 82bhp for an SD, not a big Xantia fan!

The ZX loom and 205 looms are WORLDS apart, and i would imagine that the zx loom is heavily integrated and not too easy to split unless your really on the ball with electrics (xantia diesel loom is pretty much impossible to split in one piece), and if your up to spliting the ZX loom then you shouldn't have a problem wiring it all in.

Whats your time scale like?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

no time scale , i want it on road for may latest
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

Vanny wrote:the wires i commented on earlier are all that a diesel needs to run, they dont even need a battery once started. Infact (not including modern 'electronic' diesels) if you remove the stop solenoid and bump start them they will run quite literally for ever, they don't actually require a power source to work (usefull if your ever stuck in the desert with a flat battery and a full fuel tank!)
hi vanny thats odd,
maybe a bit different scenario but when my astra tdi alternator belt snapped and eventually the battery went flat of course but when coming up to a junction when you put your foot on the brake the engine stalled! prolly cos the battery was putting all its last power into feeding the brake lights! so why does it do this. i was surprised at the time as i always thought diesels would go without power too.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Your battery ran flat and your stop solenoid closed cutting off fuel to the engine, and thats why it stopped! The XUD will also run for a very long time with no coolant in them as well so long as you disengage the fans (or the battery goes flat!

With my XUD when the battery has gone flat during driving, i normally dont get to find out until i try to accelerate, i can only imagine that as the engine revs increase the load created by the alternator increases sufficiently to stall the engine, there is rarely enough power to cracnk her over again btu the stop solenoid will operate with a very low battery hence the engine keeps running even though the battery is near to death!
csg100
3000 rpm

Re: diesel engine

Post by csg100 »

I've had a couple of 205 TDs, great little cars. I had big plans for my first one - 1.8TD engine with intercooler, adjustable wastegate, auto bonnet with vent for i/c, GTi front brakes, bilstein dampers etc etc. Got some of it done, but then had a slight incident with a tree...

Anyways, from what I gathered when I was looking into it you should be able to bolt a 1.8TD engine/intercooler straight in. There shouldnt be any wiring problems - you should be able to match everything up to the 205 loom, and if the sensors are different you should be able to replace them with the standard 205 sensors. However bonnet clearance could be an issue. I heard reports of some people squeezing it all in with the standard bonnet, but I acquired myself a cheap auto bonnet from a dealers having a clear out, as they have the 'power bulge'.

The 1.9TD should also fit, although I never looked into this with any detail, but you may have problems with the turbo clearing the bulkhead. I put a Xsara (I think) turbo on my first 205 and had to 'adjust' the bulkhead to stop it knocking on it.
Carl
---------------
1990 Citroen BX 16v
1982 Rover 3500SE
1988 Volvo 360 GLT (for sale)
www.carlgibbs.com/gallery