Losing my sunroof.

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
jayw
5000 rpm

Losing my sunroof.

Post by jayw »

I'm planning to ditch my sunroof completely, does anyone have any brilliant ideas on a good way to do it.

Obviously i could just weld a plate on, but i don't want to damage the very thin metal of the roof and i want it to be flush when done.

To finish the job i'm planning to have a large 'Double Chevron' decal made up to cover the complete centre section of the roof (and therefore no blending of the paint needed).

Suggestions welcome.
Now listen here you mullet...
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

go the scrappy and cut the whole roof off a none sunroof bx (i have one going spare) drill out the spot welds on your and replace, EASY! :(

Assuming your putting a 6 point roll cage in your atack vehicle then it wont be a problem! Other option, cut the lip off, put a sheet underneath , a matching thickness one to go in the whole and body work it up. Problem is the very first corner you go round at speed it will twist and crack all the paint work!

The three racers i know of, two stuck all the kit/running gear on a non sunroof shell and the third just rivetted a plate over the hole!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Vanny, your second suggestion was exactly what i was planning to do but it's the cracking of filler/paint i want to avoid, this is also the reason for the Decal i want made up. Covering the area the vinyl should have enough flex to avoid splitting it as it's only tiny amounts of movement anyway (in theory).
Now listen here you mullet...
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

A whole roof is a better option! whilst it ios possible to stitch in anew section, because of the opening the roof will not be exactly the shape of a normal roof so will allways look a little odd!

As for cracking there no excuse for that! if its done properly, but yiou will need lots of patience getting the thing flat enough to paint.......