Jacking a BX?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

Jacking a BX?

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all,

How do you jack them up? more precisely, does the suspension have to be raised (i guess it does) and if so, can it be made to stay raised with the engine off?

thanks,
James
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Thereare 4 maihn jacking points around the chassis of the car for use with the std jack, they can be found at either end of the side skirt under the doors! (cut out in the side skirt!)
if your using a trolly jack then try and get it onto the subframe to jack from!
suspension doesn need to be up but it can help as when in low mode its difficault to get some jacks under the car!
if i am being reaaly lazy, i tend to put mine in high, drive her up onto a piece of 6x4 sleeper i have left from the greenhouse base an d then stick an axel stand under! :shock: :wink:

dont atempt anything under the car without it supported by axel stands! (or equivalent!)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I see, also ref the manual i just downloaded :D , to change a wheel you keep the engine running but othewise they are just like any other car.

Thanks

James
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

i can honestly say when ever i have changed wheels over i havent had it running! but ideally i suppose you do it in high?!?
Only troubles you get is whent he cars ijn low and you need to jack it up as most trolly jack dont sit low enough to get under unless its one of the very nice workshop ones!

Just make sure it supported as i have accidentally knocked the hight lever when i was under doing something! not a clever thing to do! (cant remember what it was i was doing at the time though!)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

jack

Post by Toddman »

I just whack the suspension on high,turn off the engine and use the std jack.

Trolley jacks are cool but the subframes are not overly strong so be wary especially on the rear as the metal plate that looks ideal for a jack near the rear arm ram gaiter is very soft.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I always put a lump of wood between the trolley jack and car to lessen the load. Then add axel stands and release jack pressure.

Jacking the rear is tricky because there is not much solid there except the rear subframe, which is an awkward shape.

I would never use a standard OEM supplied jack on any car unless stuck by the road for a wheel change, as these are dangerously cheapo crap.

Mike
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
when jacking my car i only use a trolly jack (because i dont trust the std ones) and i only jack my car by the rear axel or the round part of the front subframe where its bolted to the body. (just behind the front wheel looking under)

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

I must be the only one who trusts the factory jack :? IMO it's actually a very good design, much moreso than a scissor jack would have been. With the suspension up and the handbrake applied the car is both solid & stable so it's as good as any axel stand in use. Many DIY trolley jacks lose pressure over time and sag, so if you weren't combining it with an axel stand i'd take the factory one every time.

Jacking on the front subframe gives me bad vibes man! After time it's possible to repeatedly dent and bend the sub-frame which entirely possibly can lead to all sorts of alignment issues, not to mention rust. (i recall one of our members having to replace a sub-frame a couple of years ago for one or both reasons).
Now listen here you mullet...
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

For normal wheel removal I use the standard jack, undoing the wheelnuts a few turns before taking the wheel off the ground.

For semi permanent lifting and access I have the trolley jack and a large block of wood with a groove cut into it that lines up with the seam under the car.
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

my front subframe is bent from jacking... i do spread the load with wood, but as others have said it's not made of the stiffest metal in the world.

i too would like to stick up for the standard jack - i think it's great.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

News in History... 2006

The nation is divided and civil war breaks out on the streets between the 'BX Jack Liberation' Front and the opposing 'Useless Bit Of Tat Added To Weigh Our Light Cars Down Fascist Regime'.

The war eventually ends in 2009, leaving 30,000 PSA owners dead after an agreement was struck to smelt all remaing cars and turn them into tea-pots so we could all have a nice cuppa & a hug.
Now listen here you mullet...
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

You may laugh now, but one day the Useless Bit Of Tat Added To Weigh Our Light Cars Down Fascist Regime will be in charge
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."