Brake Bias

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
jayw
5000 rpm

Brake Bias

Post by jayw »

The rear brake pressure is directly linked to the suspension pressure (so as to self compensate under load) but is there any way to adjust the bias towards the rear?

I'm trying some new brake components at the front but now i'm lacking anchors at the back.
Now listen here you mullet...
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

2x 20kg bags of ballast in the rear?

Changing spheres would probably give you more pressure feed to the rear but bugger the handling, there really isn't an easy option i guess.
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

Vanny wrote:2x 20kg bags of ballast in the rear?
That'll just make it handle like a Porsche and as much as i'm a keen Botanist i'd really rather not spend too much time in the greenery :lol:

I'm running 30/.5 spheres on the back so do you reckon that's gonna help with the pressure or hinder? The handling is almost as good as i'd like it (if not just a bit too much roll still).

Adding a second subject here seeing as we're touching on it... is it correct that the same-axel struts are connected by hydraulic lines and that capping that connection could reduce roll?
Now listen here you mullet...
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

changing sphere won't make bugger all difference as the pressure in the strut is toatlly proportional to the weight on the wheels.

So either change strut size, not practical, or fit larger pioston brakes.

Adding a small amount of weight won't make it head for the trees, it'll just settle it better and allow the suspension to work. Adding bags of cement is hardly a performance tweek tho!! but it does help keep them unseized - are you sure yours work anyway? lots are seized through lack of use - thats why a strip and clean is on the service schedule :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Post 1988 brake valves have a calibration screw for rear brake pressure on them. It should be possible to alter this (shorten?) to increase brake pressure to the rear brakes. See Haynes manual for details of screw.
Different spheres will not make any appreciable change.