CO adjusting problem.

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
soupapes
4000 rpm

CO adjusting problem.

Post by soupapes »

I have a problem in my 16V.

I just cant adjust the CO level. The level is always to high (about the 3.x).

Other problem is that sometimes the engine dies if i do not keep some aceleration in the pedal.

I have replaced the sparks and also the engine temperature sensor, but the problem maintains.

Anyone makes an ideia of what could be causing this?
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
i used to have this problem with my car. what you need to do is adjust the afm via the spring flap tension. i think from memory that if you put more tension on the spring that weakens the fuel mixture and less tension gives a ritcher mixture.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

I assume you've also tried to adjust the co screw on the air flow meter?
XU9J4 4ever
Toddman
Administrator

CO

Post by Toddman »

IF you can't adjust the co via the AFM and you have idling issues I would try and get a substitute AFM to try.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Hi!

I have tried to adjust in the screw, in the spring flap tension, and also tried an AFM from other car, but the problem continues.

Is it possible that the injectors are receiving fuel in excess?
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

could it be the IDLE CONTROL VALVE as this controls the amount of air in fuel/air mixture at idle speed, so too little air would cause a rich mixture which will give bad idling & a high CO level.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there,
listen make sure you have tried adjusting it properly. firstly the screw on the side of the afm anticlockwise weakens the fuel mix on tickover and clockwise strengthens the mix.

inside the the afm you can adjust the running (not idle) fuel mixture. tighten the flap spring to get more fuel and loosen it for less i think. if this doesnt solve it then does your car idle high? if so it may be running on choke (so to speak) all the time hence the rich mix.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

I took the car to a Citroën dealer and they told me that the car aparently is receiving excessive fuel in the injectors.

Is it possible that the pressure fuel valve is not working fine?
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
kriskarrera
Tick Over

Post by kriskarrera »

You mean the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail?
I think you can do a test to see how much fuel is being returned to the tank, but it's 1.24am and it's in my haynes engine management book. I'll check it tomorrow.
XU9J4 4ever
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

hi there,
an easy way to check the fuel pressure regulator is to take the return fuel pipe off the top of it and turn the car over a couple times. you should get a spray about 6-10 inches into the air above the engine. if there is no spray then that is a problem. just make sure you have a towel ready to catch the fuel when you do this so it doesnt land on the coil etc.

cheers rossco 8) :wink:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

RE. idle problem: my 16v used to cut out after a hot start. However, if after starting, I revved engine and held RPM at about 5,000 RPM (ouch) it would idle perfectly until I stopped again. A good clean out of idle circuit passage and a new AFM cured it. I think the problem was the flap sticking, and the revving moved the flap beyond the sticky region.
Toddman
Administrator

over fuelling

Post by Toddman »

I would check the fuel pressure with a guage also worth checking the vacuum pipe from the inlet manifold to the underside of the regulator as they often get blocked or damaged causing idling issues.

If the fuel pressure is correct and the AFM and ICV are all in good order it is likely that the ecu is causing the over fuelling so would suspect faulty temp sensors feeding the ecu lies.

Cheers
Luke
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Thanks to all for the replyes.

In the Citroen dealer they told me that i have an electrical problem somewhere in the ingnition circuit wich results in excessive fuel in the injectors.

The problem seems to be between the 2 red points in the image:
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/3482/probxo9.jpg

They tested my car using another idle control valve, and another AFM from a good working car, and i also replaced the water temp sensor, but the problem continues.

It may possible be the ECU broken. It only happens sometimes, and when it does, i hear some strange "tick tick" noise when i turn the key to start the ignition of the engine.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Toddman
Administrator

tick tick

Post by Toddman »

Can you tell where the noise is coming from i.e. front or rear of the car?
I would have the injector thoroughly tested and cleaned as they may well not be shutting off properly or leaking when they should be fully closed.

I think Alan S has had similar issues.

Cheers
Luke
soupapes
4000 rpm

Re: tick tick

Post by soupapes »

Toddman wrote:Can you tell where the noise is coming from i.e. front or rear of the car?
I would have the injector thoroughly tested and cleaned as they may well not be shutting off properly or leaking when they should be fully closed.

I think Alan S has had similar issues.

Cheers
Luke
The noise comes from the front and the back of the car.

In the front comes from the idle control valve, and also from a relay near the LHM deposit. In the back of the car i dont know exactly from, but i think it is from the bosch fuel component in the side of the fuel filter.

It seems the entire ignition circuit is being afected.

The problem is not from the injectors because my car is also working with LPG, with independent LPG injectors, and the problem is the same while runing in both type of fuel.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v