DISTRIBUTOR CAP

Offer your parts and cars for sale here.
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

If you MIG it, using a brass heatsink of some sort behind the weld makes things a lot easier.

Take a look here: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/metals.htm

Malcolm, the guy who wrote that site, is a good chap. He bought two early Renault 4s from my dad and plans to put a Gordini 5 engine in one of them (which is my plan as well - he may beat me to it)...
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

...ahh that brings back memories :) can almost smell it, brilliant link Dj
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

Indeed, it's an excellent site all round. Check this site out by the same guy:

http://www.aston-v8.co.uk/

Very impressive!

And it wouldn't be fair not to link this one while I'm at it:

http://www.renault4.co.uk/

"Frederick the Frog and the Art of Renault 4 Maintenance" is hilarious :D
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

RobC wrote: i'd be interested to know if your ignition amp works ok - every time i've tried to fit a new one to mine, it cuts off the engine over 2,500 revs :?
mine managed a heady 3000 rpm :cry: & rev counter was all over the place, so I refitted the old amp and noticed it only had 6 pins, the Motaquip had 7 :shock: so it's going back tomorrow. Fitted the coil, cap & arm and went for a blat, went fine, maybe even a bit smoother, will have to wait & see if they've sorted the very occasional hot starting problem, but the old cap & arm had definately seen better days.

Is the caps centre terminal supposed to be fixed? 'cause the Motaquip one was sprung, apart from that the caps looked identical.
RobC
3000 rpm

Post by RobC »

martyn wrote:
RobC wrote: i'd be interested to know if your ignition amp works ok - every time i've tried to fit a new one to mine, it cuts off the engine over 2,500 revs :?
mine managed a heady 3000 rpm :cry: & rev counter was all over the place, so I refitted the old amp and noticed it only had 6 pins, the Motaquip had 7 :shock: so it's going back tomorrow. Fitted the coil, cap & arm and went for a blat, went fine, maybe even a bit smoother, will have to wait & see if they've sorted the very occasional hot starting problem, but the old cap & arm had definately seen better days.

Just as I thought - for some reason the wrong pattern part is listed as being compatible with the BX16v / Mi16, and when you try to explain to the vendor that it doesn't work, they consult the book and say 'no mate, this is the one listed for your car, so it must be a fault with your engine' :x
martyn
3000 rpm

Post by martyn »

Hopefully they'll do a refund as they state on their reciept they will refund within 7 days if goods are returned undamaged, or are unfit for purpose, so fingers crossed.

Has anybody sourced a non Citroen amp that works & are all 16v amps the same, mine is a 6 pin Bocsh 0227100123 & MTR01
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

iirc the amp is the same as the 1.9 8v pug lumps have! i have one or two knocking around int he shed from my pug days, almost certaint hey are the same!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!