Powersteering pipe.....?

Make requests for parts and cars here
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Powersteering pipe.....?

Post by Daniel B »

Chaps,
not sure of the technical name, but I have a mild LHM leak, and John tells me it is coming from the pipe for the powersteering, it's part made of metal, and part made of rubber if that makes it more easily identifiable....?

Does anyone have a good quality one, as seems pointless to change for one that is perished also!

No huge hurry, but if anyone has one, please keep it for me and we'll work somehting out.

Cheers

Dan
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

On the BX powersteering models, there are four pipes. One pipe from the FDV to the pinion valve (long one with curly bit in the middle), one pipe from pinion to ram and one pipe back again (these are both relatively short and from experience these are where leaks can occur and have crush connections so need to be replaced for ned ones), then it has the return pipe. I can see it coming out, and its metal, and it goes to the reservoir as rubber, so i guess its this one?

On Xantias however there is a 6mm feed pipe from the pump to the pinion valve and it has a HUGE rubber bit in the middle.
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

Sounds to me like it's the only high pressure rubber pipe on the car that runs between the FDV and Pressure reg, it does a loop up towards the N/S inner wing and clips to the wing with a large white plastic clip.
If it is this pipe then they are available new for about £90. I had to replace one on the diesel a couple of years ago. It emptied the tank in less than 2 minutes!!

The reason it's rubber is to damp pressure fluctuations so the steering should always feel the same.

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Thanks chaps,
I think Chris has hit the nail on the head with that description, pretty much tallies with the way John described it's workings.

You wouldn't happen to know it's part number and or proper name would you Chris?

Do you know if I can only get them from Citroen, wonder if Andyspares or GSF might do them....

If it's under £100, I think I'll be more inclined to get a new one, as a 2nd hand one will surely suffer the same fate in a matter of months or years.

Dan
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

The part number is 95 496 828 and is described as a "FLEXIBLE HYDRAULIQUE", very helpful! Anyone that knows anything about BX's will know what you are talking about immediatley though since it is the only high pressure rubber pipe on the car.

Mine cost £67, but that was trade...
I very much doubt you'll get one anywhere other than from a main dealer, GSF will just frown at you, I know, I tried them first!

Cheers
Chris G
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Have one or two if you need, have never had one fail, so see no reason why used should be a problem, and being flexible its an easier one to fit!

Ollie
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Ollie,
thank for the offer, sounds like it's worth a go!

I'm guessing it isn't really postable?

PM me how much your after, and we'll sort something out :D

Cheers

Dan
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Hello chaps,
sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm still after one!

Planning to drop the BX down to witmuns some time in March to fit the replacement sunroof lining, and give her a thorough going over and service.

Would like to get this done at the same time, so Ollie are you able to post me one, is it postable?

Let me know what you are looking for, and I can either transfer the money to you electronically or paypal or a cheque.

Cheers

Dan
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Dan, i MIGHT have one in the garage (will take a few weeks before i get over to check), or i know Billy has one spare if you can coax him into it!
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

Vanny,
Ollie pm'd me to say he can send me one, so it should all be fine :D

Cheers

Dan