16v Crank Pulley

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
soupapes
4000 rpm

16v Crank Pulley

Post by soupapes »

Hi!

The new problem to solve in my car is the crank pulley that is dancing into the sides.

Can it be fixed or it must be replaced?

Here is very dificult to find spares for this engine, and a new one is very expensive. In ebay i cant find one for sale, so i was wondering if is there any PSA compatible pulley from a car more easy to find?
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

There are places that rebuild them.
Technical parts name is "harmonic balance" if that makes it easier for you to source one.
To my knowledge, the BX16V/Mi16 are the only ones this particular one will fit. Shouldn't be all that hard to find. It is expensive for what it is but not expensive in comparison to a lot of other things you buy for a car. Possibly around 100 Euro I would guess.

Alan S
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Here in Portugal Citroën asked me about 200 euros for a new one. That is an abuse for the type of part.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

I'm not good on currency conversions but I have been told that rebuilt ones that use a synthetic material instead of the rubber are around A$140 and new ones about A$100 more than that.
As our currency is affectionately known as Pacifc Pesos due to it's volatility, I may have been out on the conversion. AS I said, not really expensive in comparison to a lot of other parts, but expensive for what you get for your money.

You could try these guys;

http://www.lizarte.com/eng/productos/index.asp

They seem to manufacture and recon a few different things. If nothing else, they may be able to point you in the right direction as to who to contact to get a rebuilt one.

Alan S
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

200 euros are about 136 GBP wich i think is very expensive, at least for the typical portuguese wallet :?

But thanks for the help. I will contact them. :wink:
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

As they say "Aye down't belieeeve it!!!!!!!!" guess who had a harmonic balance throw the towel in a couple of days ago? :shock: :oops: :oops:
Self inflicted woulnds in all probability due to an overtight belt when I did the air con. It totally stripped out the rubber, so clean that it's impossible to believe it actually ever had any in there, but it also went progressively and finally all at once when I took one of the boys for a test run and we smelt burning followed by the battery light coming on......at around 6000rpm! :roll:
Anyhow, I had a spare here for a temporary fix, so no real drama, but I have since found out a few things that might be of interest.
I can get one rebuilt for $120 + GST (VAT) or I can get a modified one made for competition (price unknown) all from this company out here:

http://www.rosstuffbond.com.au/htms/pagebits/intfrm.htm

That might be a clue as to a similar company over your way who may be able to help.
I was also told in the process of trying to track pulleys down, that a couple of companies out here use ones off a Ford Mondeo (presumeably the 2.0i version) and "modify" them to fit the 16V. Having had a 3rd party experience with one of the companies concerned where he reckoned he couldn't drill a hole in a bellhousing, I couldn't imagine the modification as being all that complicated and acdcording to a couple of guys out here, the Mondeo pulley is a stronger set up than the 16V ones.
Might be able to get to a wrecker and see one and may be a cheaper option for you to consider.

Alan S
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Hi Allan.

Here in Portugal i cant find anyone capable to rebuild mine, and all the persons i talk about that advised me not to do that, because the pulley must be very well balanced, and that's not easy to guarantee.

When i find one mondeo 2.0 i will see that.

Anyway i found one wrecked 16v in the junk yard, so i have the problem solved for now...
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

I found in the junk yard one 16v so i bring the pulley to my car.

But i just found out that the crank pulley from the AX 1.4 Diesel engine feet's the 16v engine, so if anyone needs to find one...
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Handy bit of info that! iis the pulley the same size/teeth then??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Timmo wrote:Handy bit of info that! iis the pulley the same size/teeth then??
Yes. The size and distance of the holes is the same in both. The difference is in the outside diameter of the pulley that is a few milimeters bigger in the AX one, but that is not a problem.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

I wouldnt be too keen about fitting AX one, as Mi16 crank surely has different resonance frequecny than AX crank. So it wouldnt do the job properly.

You might damage Your engine by fitting wrong pulley.

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

some pictures i took:

AX (left), 16v (right):

AX over 16v:
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

I'd be VERY wary about fitting the AX damper to the Mi engine. That could kill the crank, really, it could.
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver