Help needed identifying some parts - NOT BX

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Vanny
Web Support

Help needed identifying some parts - NOT BX

Post by Vanny »

Hope nobody minds me enlisting some help identifying some car parts, i figure that everyone on here is a general car junkie and might recognise some bits!

First up, random ford engine;

Intend on simply weighing these in unless i can find someone to whom they would be of use, and of course they might be something special!

next up, some random alloys, theres at least two of each of these, but i keep finding more and more interesting stuff at the farm!;

first alloy

second alloy

So anwers on a postcard, and if you like this type of 'game' i have thousands more like it!
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the first alloy appears to be a 'slot mag' wolfrace type, second one looks like an early granada one! which is prolly where the engine came from loL! looks like an early carb'd V6,
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

The engine is definitely a 3ltr V6 'essex' lump circa '78 - '82 (after the rocker cover breather was modified). Usually found under the bonnet of Granny's & Capri's.

And i'd say Timmo was spot on with the wheels. 2nd is Mk1 Granny.
Now listen here you mullet...
iain a
3000 rpm

Post by iain a »

jayw wrote:The engine is definitely a 3ltr V6 'essex' lump circa '78 -
..better than the 2.8 lump from what i've been told..although a bit more thirsty....worth keeping, to put in a fiesta say...hehe
oh bugger!! What now?!?
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

F**k knows to all of them. Do I get a prize? :P
jayw
5000 rpm

Post by jayw »

iain a wrote:
jayw wrote:The engine is definitely a 3ltr V6 'essex' lump circa '78 -
..better than the 2.8 lump from what i've been told..although a bit more thirsty....worth keeping, to put in a fiesta say...hehe
The 2.8 'Cologne' lump is better in many respects, it has better power/torque figures and is OHC wheras the 'Essex' is OHV and iirc is good for 150 BHP standard and is much simpler to install in just about anything including the Reliant Scimitar.

Actually, something's just dawned on me... Vanny, the Wolfrace alloy is off a Scimitar so that's probably also the orininal home of the engine!
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

jayw wrote:the Wolfrace alloy is off a Scimitar so that's probably also the orininal home of the engine!
LOL, I was thinking about that wheel today, and just as I got home Scimitar GTE popped into my head!
jayw
5000 rpm

Re: Help needed identifying some parts - NOT BX

Post by jayw »

Dan, 'great minds' and all that :lol:

Vanny wrote: So anwers on a postcard, and if you like this type of 'game' i have thousands more like it!
Next :!:
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Second type of alloy is defo a BL alloy wheel as seen fitted to MGBGT V8 and Triumphs in the late 70s, a guy in the SD1 club has some on his car aswell. The granny wheels were similar but were pressed steel. The alloys wheels on Mk1 granadas were quite rare and normally fitted to the Ghia or coupe models and the all had 5 wheel bolts.

Get your metal polish out Vanny!
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

jayw wrote:
The 2.8 'Cologne' lump is better in many respects, it has better power/torque figures and is OHC wheras the 'Essex' is OHV and iirc is good for 150 BHP standard and is much simpler to install in just about anything including the Reliant Scimitar.
The 2.8 is also OHV and only the fuel injected versions have a better power and torque figure, also the 3litre is reported to be alot stronger and longer lasting.

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
Daniel B
4000 rpm

Post by Daniel B »

:oops: Doesn't appear it is Scimitar......

On the wheel pictured at the top of the thread the edges of the spaces are curved, on the GTE they appear to be sharp edges...

Look a bit more like these maybe (About half way down the page), but still not identical, maybe some patent copies:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... safe%3Doff

Dan
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

well, i know that there have been at least 2 triumph 2000's there at various points, and there are more parts in that lockup that might give it away. Will play round two in two weeks (when i next go up there)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

slot mags seem tricky to get a good picture of! but found these!
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN
and here!
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN
under 9th feb 2003!

<edited by Vanny to include the pics>
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Imho the slotmag alloy is a wolfrace alloy which was a popular accessory for most 70s cars, inclduing the Scimiar and the Datsuon 240Z.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Hurah! Think i finally have an answer, found a random reg plate out in the field behind a digger the other day and i think it holds the final answer!

The reg is D844 RJN which is for a Mk 2 Granada Ghia 4x4, which kind of explains the various halfshafts that are in the same place which i thought where off a Landy (albeit a little small).

Anybody know anyone they might be useful too? Likely hood is they will get weighed in unless they find a home.