The Pig ... A Rant

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
SimonA
Tick Over

The Pig ... A Rant

Post by SimonA »

Okay I need to rant and vent my spleen ... The Pig's MOT is due and the garage just called ... you know it's bad when it's the mechanic and not the nice office person !

Ball joint ... knew that
Fuel lines ... guessed that or it was the fuel pulse compensator thing
pinion valve ... knew about that after replacing the flow distribution valve 3 months ago (it was the greater leak)
and the exhaust was knocking due to the bracket coming away

Okay so I knew about those ...

New things ....

Drivers mirror got ripped off in a car park 2 weeks ago by (I suspect) the WVM backing out in his jumbo jet length van
Hand brake bracket flopping around (again)
Rear exhaust bracket has come away (poorly fitted exhaust 5 months ago put too much tension on it)

and ... wtf else can leak green stuff ...
I've done pipes and lines and octopus and the pressure regulator ..
oh yeah the hydraulic pump now has a leak !

and the rear discs and pads look worn ... are they a pass or a fail ... not sure this was from the pre MOT check.

Last MOT was the MOT to end all MOT's and over 1k, but it's the age of the car and I had replaced the head 6 months earlier so I gave the nod and swore next time ...

So here it is again and it's over £500 and I'm so tempted to .... arghhh !

Dump it, shoot it, crush it, fix it, sorn it or just pay the money !

5 years and over 1k a year is tiresome to say the least ... and it needs the body work tidied up and the alloys need refinishing and AND and ....

I can't find an electric heated mirror to save myself but I have a theory ... Peugeot 405 mirrors are available for both sides and are electric and heated and similar 3 bolty things to mount them (and 5 wires), from the pics I've seen and the 405's I've stalked in car parks so maybe they will fit and all that ... maybe I should just buy two of those and remember when I had a VW Jetta GT that ran and ran and ...

Okay rant over
Oh and she who usually says there can't be that much more to do can't decide either.

Should any of you IM farce be caught or killed the secretary will disavow any knowledge.
... and there are unknown unknowns
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I have a mirror here somewhere, £10 plus postage if you need it.
Not sure if it is heated, but it is electric and you don't really need a heater in it anyway.

Rear bumper bracket- bolt a short length of angle iron on to support the pipe. Put a bolt through it for the rubber hanger.

Are you sure it is the pump with a leak and not just a connection?

Rear disks and pads are common to all BXs so are cheap and easy to replace. They wont fail the MOT if they still work OK.
Got some spare nearly new ones here too, are you local to South Bucks?

Sounds to me that you have done the serious stuff. A few hours with dirty hands and that bill will be much smaller.

Mike