16v Cat

Make requests for parts and cars here
tim leech
7000 rpm

16v Cat

Post by tim leech »

Not a turbocharged feline but Jacks 16v (which Im still babysitting) has failed its mot on the emissions and washer spray bar and a windscreen chip, his car is a 93K which of course has the later engine and a catalyst. However someones cut the cat open removed the innards and welded it back up again to release some more horses, but of course now it wont pass it MOT as it states it must have one!

Does anyone have one?
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

I'd check with VOSA that they're running through the manual properly to decide what test to run. If it fails a cat test it's not an automatic failure IIRC.

If you ring the MOT enquiry line (number's on the VOSA web site) with the VIN they'll be able to tell you if it needs a cat test.

Generally speaking for cars this old they don't have accurate detailed information and should do an alternative test if it fails on the cat test.

Adrian
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Adrian but the catalyst is there but its hollow and resonates when you drive it, the MOT is done where I work and they have a brand new machine that you put the car details into and it says what it should have (ABS CAT etc) or not and you cant over-ride it. So to pass a MOT there it will need a cat, and as the MOTs expired we need to sort something.! The MOT tests are now interlinked so whicever test station you go to it will tell them what its failed on.

Its not even my car! :roll: And turning out to be a pain in the arse.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

hmmm

Meridian Car Parts

lists a cat for the BX 16v £124+VAT (got to love google)

Have you tried local factors? It might be a cat but i reckon someone still makes them and thus someone still sells them!
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

Agreed, and probably worth scouring ebay in those European countries that required a cat as they should be cheaper based on units sold.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Guys, im waiting to hear what the owners doing, it may get broken up for parts or sold on as is yet, shame as its a nice example asides the crumpled rear quater and the MOT bits.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Sorted, managed to weld in the old cat from my xantia instead which I already had so saved me a fortune.