high idle revs

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
iain a
3000 rpm

high idle revs

Post by iain a »

high, a quick query... here goes... up until last week, my bx was suffering high idle revs, especially on start up... (about 2000rpm, 1500 rpm when warm). that was until i accidentally kicked the ignition barrel loom near the clutch pedal...( the car promptly died...lucky i was stationary taking a phone call!!) after much jiggery pokery, i got the car going again...and noticed the idle revs were at about 1000 rpm (when warm) from then....(today was about 1250 rpm before i switched off...but then i had just been ragging it against some tarted up corsa... hehe)... would you say this is coincidence? or would the ignition loom have any affect on revs?.... :shock:
oh bugger!! What now?!?
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

coinsidence
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Adrian E

Post by Adrian E »

most likely throttle cable and/or micro switch on the throttle body not cutting in correctly.

My Dad's used to keep the revs up quite a lot, even on gear changes and eventually traced it to the throttle cable and some gunk under the dash that Citroen probably class as sound deadening that'd come away and was interfering with the throttle pedal.

If the cable's too short/badly routed it can also stop the microswitch on the throttle body working properly - try moving the throttle under the bonnet with the engine off, and if you don't hear a metallic click coming from the switch it may be either faulty or more likely the cable is too tight and is stoppping it working
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

Adrian E wrote:eventually traced it to the throttle cable and some gunk under the dash that Citroen probably class as sound deadening that'd come away and was interfering with the throttle pedal.

same thing in my ph2
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)