Exhausts

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Exhausts

Post by tim leech »

Hey guys I know we have spoken about this before, I want to get my 16v in as good running order as possible, my downpipe seems to blow but theres no leaks, I remember hearing it was doen to downpipe itself being faulty theres a split in the pipe at the top which gives trouble.

Wheres the bestplace to get one and who makes it?

Also I have a scorpion rear box which looks pretty but its sounds the same as a standard one, when I owned it a few years ago it had a sebring back box which made it sound great! Is it possible to remove the cross box or wil that bugger everything up or how can I make sound a bit more rorty!
Toddman
Administrator

exhaust

Post by Toddman »

I think Kitch said ECP still do a proper downpipe wit the centre divide but a good plan is to run a bead of weld along the top of the two plates as the gaes go between them causing the nasty noise and eventually destroying the centre part.
Best mod to improve sound and a slight benefit performance wise is to remove the front box (resonator).
If you remove the cross box you will ruin the ride inside the car as the noise is just to much for any distance especially for rear passengers.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Another trick my mechanic came up with that i did on my last 16v, was to open up the cross/tail box with an angle grinder and remove EVERYTHING :shock: then weld it back up again.
Sound's pretty "rorty" but not over the top, however i'd not recommend battering a scorpian tailbox in this way just incase you dont like the result :lol: I liked it and it was cheap 8)

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

OK chaps will look out for a new front pipe and maybe get the to use mu old one to remove the from box when I do?

Is the one at ECP good quality?
Toddman
Administrator

pipes

Post by Toddman »

IIRC they are walker but if your downpipe is in fair condition I would use that - just weld up the centre part at the top and weld a 54mm diameter length of tube into it at the point at which the divide ends and run that to the bent short section that connects to the cross box.
That is how I made my front section up and I am very happy with the results.

Cheers
Luke
Last edited by Toddman on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Luke now stop it, you know i cant weld, fix or rebuid anything! I just buy new bits and pay people to fit them!

ECS it is then!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi

If its a new downpipe you are after, i priced some up a couple of months back and found euro car parts the cheapest at about £112

Not sure if that helps

Matt
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

And a genuine Citroen one will cost 200, or my friendly salesman offered me a discount to 150 if I waited so they could order it with lots of other similar parts.
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes i got a quote from citroen for the same price!

It took him a minute to get the price though, as he had to tie his horse up, adjust his cape and take off his black mask, before loggin onto his p.c.!

Robbers!
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

:D

"Hello you're through to parts, Dick Turpin speaking, stand and deliver! Er, I mean, how can I help you?"...
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
"Man who run in front of car get tyred; man who run behind car get exhausted..."
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

200 ! or even 112, thats obscene, last i bought was 55, and if thats wrong then I'd mod it for less than that and fit it. Could just fit the front onto a new rear box tho!
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I can get one for £110 which is a Bosal one at trade price through amate so will get one as the annoying blowing sounds driving me mad lol!
djoptix
4000 rpm

Post by djoptix »

tecw1979 had a Bosai downpipe on his 205 and I think it gives you a bit more top-end power but less torque.

I think the engine lacks torque quite enough as standard :?
Red phase 1, 84k
Silver phase 1, 67k
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

I am struggling where els eto get one from, ecs cant get them and gsf dont list them anymore, I wont ring citroen as there hilarious and I wont let one of these fast fit places anywhere near it!
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

OK can get one for 66 plus Vat from local Car spares place, its a Walker and has the proper divider, From the weight of it its pretty good! noticeably heavier than a Citroen one!
If I hagle with the right guy it will prob be cheaper! postage is about £12 on Parcel-farce

So still in as a stock item :lol: which is nice
They also have the fitting ring, bolts etc in stock, all a great deal less than Shitroen.