strange idle problem

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

strange idle problem

Post by Anonymous »

I'm having problems with my mark 1 16v:

Sometimes (not always but a lot lately) when the engine is cold and you try to start it, it runs for a second and goes dead again. after 2 times it will keep running normally.

Also sometimes also when the engine is cold (not at the same time as the other problem), the engine will start fine and when you drive the first km or 2 the engine will suddenly almost stall when you let it idle. It tries to compensate for something and the rpm needle jumps from 500 to 1500 back and forth. This will stop when you give it some throttle (about 3000rpm).

The engine runs great, idles normally and no problems when the engine is warm?!

I think both problems are related but what is causing it? :?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

assuming you have the throttle postiton sensor correctly calibrated then the second the accelorator cable moves it should move the ECU from an idle map to a running map. If the hunting revs stop when the throttle is slightly depressed then this suggests something in the idle circuit, possibly the Idle Control Valve (easy to swap if you have a spare) or it could be an air leak some where on the inlet tract (one of the pipes to the ICV for example) causing the ICV to mis read.

With the starting and failing, you might try to slightly depress the throttle to bring it out of the idle map. The idle map is also adjusted by a temperature sensor (in the side of the thermo stat housing??) and i guess this could be at fault, telling the ecu the engine is warm and reducing the fuel supplied?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Certainly sounds like the throttle position senser on the back of the tb! Very common problem with all the Pug 8V engines, my old one and brothers both 205 and 309, and several mates ones used to do it all the tiem! normaly the first junction you had to stop at with in the first mile or so! iirc its held on by two 8mm bolts, very fiddly to get to but only needs a small adjustment to prevent the stalling on cold and first idle!!

Also worth cleaning out all the breather pipes around there to as can often help with matters!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

yep i had this problem on an 8v and simply cleaning the breather pipes sorted it
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well i fiddled a little with the tps and it ran well for 2 days after that it went slowly back to its old behavoir. :?

I think i'll clean it all out and after that i will replace the throttle position sensor. Thanks for the tips! :D
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

last i heard they are £74 + vat new from citroen :o
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

thanuttiscotsman wrote:last i heard they are £74 + vat new from citroen :o
Here its 60 euros for a EPS one
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

even that is silly for a little switch! :evil:
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It took some time but i'm back, i was busy renewing a lot of parts including the headgasket and clutch :roll: :P

the cause seems to be the idle control valve, when it occured i bashed on it with something hard and then symptoms were gone like that :lol:

So i'm letting mine cleaned ultra sonic, i got this tip from someone who ownes a 16valve. When this is done i will let you all know ;)