Exhaust Manifold

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Exhaust Manifold

Post by MoRtYMer »

Well it looks like my exhaust manifold has a crack in it... :\

How much do these things cost, 2nd hand of course. Does a welding hold on for some time, or it will crack again soon? Because even if i find one for sale i don't think i could buy it just now.
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

I found one on ebay, from a 405 MI16, are they the same?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,

If yours is sound (not rusty) why not weld it? Find someone who's proficient with a MIG, get them to bevel the 2 edges and run some weld in - should be as good as new!

Try to find the reason for the crack in the first place ie/ engine mounts.

Cheers
MoRtYMer
3000 rpm

Post by MoRtYMer »

Well thats my idea (at least for now) but someone told me that its probably going to crack again near the area that will be weld.

But for now it will be welded.
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

Better to braze them, they dont crack then.
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,

Welds done correctly don't crack and will be stronger than the parent material.

Cheers
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

If the guy welding doesn't know how to stop it cracking later - don't let him do it..... there are lots of very good fabrication shops out there for industry and they'll do an excellent job far better than the average car sticker togetherer (like me :lol: )

Basic reason for welds cracking is the extra stresses caused at the edge of the hot weld v cool steel and the dissimilar metals in the wire v the original and of course the lack of prepartion which leaves the weld proud of the stress path.

Pre heat the work peice after veeing out as said above then make it cool slowly - i.e keep it warm with the blow torch! it''l weld up fine and its cheaper than the postage on an Ebay unknown.

Only thing to watch is that the flanges are still flat afterwards - check with a straight edge, if not same friendly fabricators will prob face it off for you or do it yourself with a large file.....

Ollie
Toddman
Administrator

weld

Post by Toddman »

Good welding job will be fine - These manifolds are steel and not cast like the 8valves such as the 205 which where the stories of them cracking again after welding comes from.

Second hand items usually go for around £35 though and if you are stuck I think I may have a spare at Vannys.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

You should also see the engine mounts because they may be needing to be replaced, specially the round one that stays in the back of the engine.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v