first bx 16v turbo with nos?

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

first bx 16v turbo with nos?

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hey fellas!,
how are ya'll? im good, kinda long time since i spent much time here but im back with a bang! :D in the next couple weeks i will be aquireing tony's nos kit and i have just bought a saab 9000 turbocharger. i have also found a site that makes outlet manifolds for XU9J4's an adapted mani for a turbo! means moving the battery and water bottle, but fits in. im gonna get a set of 8v 205 gti pistons from my local scrappers then all i need is an emerald ecu. anyone know where to get one cheap? basically im looking for the help of anyone in the club who can help me achieve this. i have already got me a mechanic and half the parts. i need some expirience and knowledge to help me along.

firstly i am designing a one off bodykit mixed of ph1 16v, ph2 16v bx sport kit and some customizing. i haven't said much about this but basically the bodykit is finnished and jus needs sprayed. i am getting the turbo and nos v soon and will be buying the manifold soon too. also soon to follow between now and end jan will be full re-spray.

i have already got new belts for it but would like to know if anyone recommends a higher grade clutch? to take the new power spike. i think i can achieve this:

current power about 175 or 180 bhp with k+n, full scorpion and chip. i think i should get at least 60 bhp from a lp turbo, well i hope and tony has some +75 bhp nos injectory thingys for me.

well 175
= 300bhp :D me thinks and hopes this is real nice.

if anyone got any real suggestions or info on these conversions please let me know as im sure it will be usefull.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

get the car on a rolling road first, i'd be very surprised if your getting 160bhp. If its a full scorpion including the front pipe then you'll be missing anything upto 5 bhp and a lot of torque from not having the long splitter in the front pipe. No chip on the market for the mi16/16v actually makes a significant difference to the peak bhp, certainly not claimed figures, typically if you stick it on a car with partly sticking injectors then you really can gain bhp with more fuel, but typically only to the original book value or perhaps a couple of bhp more! What sort of K+N do you have? most of the cone types restrict the air flow more and reduce power, they sell because the sound good, and they are made to save from replacing filters. I have a K+N panel filter bought brand new in mine, its a little louder but at least it doesn't restrict the air flow.

Basically, you need to get a working base power output or anything you get later wont mean a thing imagine if you only get 20 bhp more than book from a +75 kit, you'd probably worry a lot, but if you dont have a starting reference how would you know.

Next have the engine professionally stripped and rebuilt with everything and anything checked and changed for new genuine parts, and get the head and block pressure tested and make sure the block can take the extra power, 60bhp from a trubo means a lot of pressure when your talking about a very highly tuned normally aspirated head! You'll want to do all the seals and probably change the oil pump for a brand new unit (or perhaps a pug 306 s16 pump) as you'll be getting a LOT more heat in and want to make sure the cooling is perfect!

You'll want to get the turbo working properly first, and if possible get it working on a dyno out of the car and set it up that way. You don't want to be getting a custom build into the car then realise that your going to have to rip it all out because it wont run/start/idle/rev because of something in the build process!

from what little i have researched on NOS i'd say +75 is likely to melt the engine or blow it into little pieces, especially if the turbo already has the manifold pressure high, and there is no point in doing it unless its going to last!

as a realistic view i'd be looking at +25 NOS with the turbo picking up maybe 40 bhp, so perhaps peaking at 225bhp assuming you don't blow it up and that the engine is in very good condition before building!

fortunately turboing a mi16 has been done before by the pug boys, but i'm not sure any are NOS'ed as well, so its a damn good project to go for.

whats the budget like? I'm of the belief that it will cost a small fortune to do, and simply buying the components is the smallest piece of the cost, i've seena lot of similarly ambitious projects fair due to over reaching and more often the total cost! Go keep an eye on ebay and all manner of hugely expensive project pop up half finished due to cost.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi TNS,

Good luck with the project and let me be the first to book a test drive :)

Take care with the liners in the motor since I believe they are ultimately a 'weak link' and don't like the type of power you're talking.

WRT the NOS kit take care! NOS works in a peculiar but beneficial way on a turbo motor. Nos can be used on a turbo car (at low levels, maybe +20BHP) as a lag elimination system - basically it works by 'spooling' the turbo much quicker. As a rule of thumb +50BHP jets on a turbo motor equates to roughly +100BHP at the flywheel. I.E. double.

As Vanny mentioned, take care to get the motor setup off NOS and make sure the map is spot-on before you think about introducing Nitrous, any leaning off of the mixture will likely result in detonation with NOS.

I fitted a colleagues Rover 220 Turbo with a Wizards of NOS single injector, set-up on +50BHP jets and the increase in performance on the road was phenomenal (new underpants job!!!) you could plant you foot to the floor in third at, say, 30MPH and it would break traction in a straight line. We never got the car checked on the rollers but it must have been well in excess of 300 BHP.

When you fit the NOS take care to follow the instructions I'll provide - setting the car up firstly on the calibration jets and doing static checks and then as a minimum plug colour checks before you upgrade to larger jets.

Theres a good forum with some chaps who really know their NOS stuff here:

http://www.technical-forum.com/nitrous-advice-forum/

WRT to ECU's have you considered MegaSquirt? Have a look at this site and have a read:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Anyway, 'bonne chance' with the project.

Cheers
Jezziebx16v

Post by Jezziebx16v »

Rossco ya crazy Scotsman, I cant offer much help or advice... but have a look on the 205 site, I'm pretty sure this has been done over there in a 205 so you may find some helpfull info.

www.205gtidrivers.com

Jez
Past 16v's: 89 Ph1 Black, 90 Ph2 Grey, 89 Ph2 Black, 91 Ph2 Grey, 91 Ph2 Black.

Now. 94 Datsun Silvia S14 rice rocket, 85 Peugeot 505 Turbo, 77 Ford Capri.
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

cheers dude!, im sure the more info i get the better. this project will be going under way early next year. for the remainder of this year i will continue collecting the bits i need.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)