Fitting BX 1.6 HP Pump in my BX 16V

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
soupapes
4000 rpm

Fitting BX 1.6 HP Pump in my BX 16V

Post by soupapes »

My car was needing new HP Pump so i fitted one from my old BX 1.6 TRS.

The differences between the original 16v pump and this one, are the pulley that is bigger in the 1.6 model, and the location where the big pipe connects.

Some pictures:

Broken pump removed:

In the left is the 1.6 pump and in the right 2 broken 16v pumps, and also the brake doseur that was replaced:

The 1.6 pump mounted with a small distance of 2mm between the pulleys :roll:

I must say that my car suspension now works really great, so the work worth the try :)
Last edited by soupapes on Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

I thought they worked in the opposite direction. Maybe I'm getting confused with something else???

Alan S
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

AlanS wrote:I thought they worked in the opposite direction. Maybe I'm getting confused with something else???

Alan S
I dont know that, but in fact this pump is originaly mounted next to the alternator in the BX 1.6

Anyway, i know 2 persons who did the same with the same model pump in their 16v's and they still working good after a few years.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
AlanS
3000 rpm

Post by AlanS »

Not being critical of it mate, just asking as I've seen it posted on other forums that the 16V pump is unique due to the direction of rotation.
If it works and works well, then you have probably saved a lot of people a lot of headaches when sourcing another pump.

Alan S
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

AlanS wrote:Not being critical of it mate, just asking as I've seen it posted on other forums that the 16V pump is unique due to the direction of rotation.
If it works and works well, then you have probably saved a lot of people a lot of headaches when sourcing another pump.

Alan S
The turbo diesel pump is also very simillar to the 16v because it is mounted in the same place (next to the battery).

But yes, it works great so i believe the HP pumps dont have a unique rotation order.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

just thinking out loud, do the cams not turn the same way as the crank (given that the cambelt only goes one way round), then if the belt is always on the outside of the pulley and the body of the pump is always on the gear box side of the pulley, will it not always go the same way round?

Only ask as i am seriously considering putting a Xantia twin output pump back on Jazz as FDV's annoy me and the car just hasn't been the same since it lost its Xnatia pump (ohi also have many xantia pumps!)
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Vanny wrote:just thinking out loud, do the cams not turn the same way as the crank (given that the cambelt only goes one way round), then if the belt is always on the outside of the pulley and the body of the pump is always on the gear box side of the pulley, will it not always go the same way round?

Only ask as i am seriously considering putting a Xantia twin output pump back on Jazz as FDV's annoy me and the car just hasn't been the same since it lost its Xnatia pump (ohi also have many xantia pumps!)
Thats a good point :idea:

About the Xantia Pumps, do you think is possible? You need to see the mounting of the pump. And the pulley is different.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

vannys right about direction, as for the 1.6 pump well done, a good plan as theyre prob still a fair bit more common at scrapyard prices, however how does it get on with flow volume when the PAS is working hard? as with the bigger pulley surely it will be turning slower than intended? at least at idle anyway?
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

ollie wrote:vannys right about direction, as for the 1.6 pump well done, a good plan as theyre prob still a fair bit more common at scrapyard prices, however how does it get on with flow volume when the PAS is working hard? as with the bigger pulley surely it will be turning slower than intended? at least at idle anyway?
Its much more easy and cheap to find the 1.6 pump, at least here in Portugal. 16v are very rare here.

The pulley is about 1cm bigger than the original one. I dont feel any difference in the work of the engine and the car works fine on low or big rotation.
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

xantia pump should be possible. I'm fortunate enough to have a full spare engine/complete gear box/bx hp setup/xantia hp setup and good access to machining including cnc milling etc!

Making up the mounting plate i think would be reasonably easy, piping will create the problem though!

In an ideal world i would use truck hydraulic lines with the correct linkages so that the feed from the pump can be disconnected without fluid loss, and without having to unbolt anything to get access to the pump etc this would (in my mid) make clutch changes/engine removal etc much easier!

But i also think it would be fun to add antisink valves to the car :(
ollie
4000 rpm

Post by ollie »

Sorry vanny but i still don't need an Antisink valve yet, the old grey ones still on its original valves all round and only settles a littel if you leave suff in the boot - otherwise it'll still be sitting level after a week......

Dont I feel smug, it'll prob break now I've said that! :lol:
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

its more about a challenge than a requirement!

hydraulic car trailer, now that would be interesting!
soupapes
4000 rpm

Post by soupapes »

Vanny wrote:its more about a challenge than a requirement!

Cant wait to see that... :D
91' Citroën BX GTi 16v
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

The pump from the 8V turns in a clockwise direction and even the 16V one is the same.
It is fitted in the same west-east location so it can't be any different.
But it can also turn in the opposite direction and still give pressure
as it is a swashplate design,so whichever way you turn pressure
will be there, also l;ike a A/C compressor.
Toddman
Administrator

trailer

Post by Toddman »

Vanny wrote:its more about a challenge than a requirement!

Now there is a thing :D
My local citroen nut Bob Wilding Autos many years ago built a CX or GS , can't remember now, pick up/car trailer.
It basically had the rear end sytripped off and made intpo a car trailer with the front end almost intact - sadly it ended up in a local scrappys after being burnt out at som epoint.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch