My venture into Autosolo!

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Vanny
Web Support

My venture into Autosolo!

Post by Vanny »

Hello all,

I've spent today competing in my first ever Club Autosolo with Accrington Motor Sport Club, and wasn't it good! For those that don't know, Autosolo is a little bit like slalom, but for cars, you compete typically on a flat car park (this one was on two car parks at different heights with a link road!) and race against the clock around a course marked out by cones, simple really!

Well the weather wasn't the greatest for my first ever attempt, it chucked it down all day, however it typically pounded down when i was marshaling and eased off when i was competing! There where twenty cars in all and i had been invited/dragged by a friend from Liverpool Motor Club.

First run was very very timid, i mostly didn't want to hit the cones or the kerb or get the course wrong! And i didn't do any of them, and came in with i think the slowest time in Club solo, but when i am the ONLY novice in our category, and most have been doing it for years, i felt very pleased with myself!

Second run, and while i'm on the start it was kindly demonstrate to me why i shouldn't hit the kerb, thanks John, so i didn't hit the second lap too hard either, but after that the second FLEW off!

In my class i was was unfortunately pitched against a 3litre Golf VR6, you'd have thought i didn't stand a chance, but by the 6th attempt i was considerably faster! Couldn't catch up the 20second lead he gained from my first slow laps, but bugger me did i drop my times, lost 12 second between 1st and 6th run! How much to i rock!

After lunch the course was slightly shortened (and hence the much faster times), my last attempt did not go well, i'd been playing with he suspension setting while waiting in the que and it had stayed very low, and as i took off it went the rest of the way to the floor! It was so bouncy and uncontrollable by the time i got to the first big U-turn i failed miserably and near smacked a cone, reversed back and still got it on the second attempt :( no real damage done, but i might get a plastic bumper if i'm gonna do it again ;)

So i came 2nd overall in class (well there was only me and the Golf) but good god how much better could i have done! Oh, i forgot to mention, the Golf was on LPG!!! surely not allowed :D

overall results;

Nice even if i do say so myself. One one seemed to be taking pictures, but if i find some i'll let you know! Oh, i can also reassure you that if you take a corner with enough determination the BX will deffinately cock a leg!

he he i had fun

Doc, you and i need words about my car!
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

kewl, sounds like fun! :D i would love to compete in some way. if only the 16v handbrake was on the back lol
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one matey! sounds liek a right laugh!!
your times are pretty good too! a coupl equicker than the golf too! well done!!

Is the 16v lump all in and going now then?? havent heard mauch about it lately! (Very rarely go on the bxclub)
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

Timmo, the valver has been in for a while. I suggest you check out the cars site;

www.bxproject.co.uk

have kept the rebuild fairly uptodat eon there but you might have to go back through the News.

Yeah i clocked the golfs times, rather pissed off at that actually, i should have just gone for it from the start and i might have come in a lot quicker, ah well, will have to see what happens next time i go!

As for BXClub, i've only just started going on again, but don't tend to bother too much tbh
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

nice one matey! will have a nosey through there on the morrow!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!