SuperCharging!

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
tim leech
7000 rpm

SuperCharging!

Post by tim leech »

Anyone done it, is it possible or would the engine explode, reason I ask is that somoene at work has just done his VR6 Corrado with apparent ease and as my car has provision for A/C which has been removed I have a spare pulley going round doing nowt lol :wink:

As you know Im no mechanic but I thought I would ask.
Last edited by tim leech on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

I got over the problem,and bought a Jag S type R
:D :D :twisted:
1988 16v

2002 S-Type "R" (rocket?)
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Cossie, I dont have that kind of money though!

Next!
Toddman
Administrator

SC

Post by Toddman »

Lots of threads about forced induction on here and the old forum Tim.
To do it properly you would need to spend a fair amount of cash - chances are you will have a fairly high mileage bottom end and really you woulkd want a lower compression but the 8v pistons give that easily.
IMHO you would need a bottom end rebuild and a stand alone ecu setup.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Cheers luke, the engine on my car was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago after it threw a bearing, I do have a superchip aswell if this will make any difference.

Regarding lowering the compression Ive heard of fitting 2 headgaskets in the past? is thsi feasbale, also Im only thinking of if I do do it running low pressure 0.5 max, would the standard engine cope do you think? :shock:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Practical Performance Car have covered the subject quite well in the past. The last few issues also contain a dedicated feature. The Feb/March issues could be what you're looking for.
There is a company that offers the conversion for about £2K.
From memory it was a relatively simple conversion. As far as lowering compression ratio, a head saver type shim and 2xgaskets may be the way to go. Payern (Payen?) make them.
By the way the common-to-Ebay MINI supercharger is listed by Eaton, the manufacturers, as being suitable for up to 2.2 litre on that size of unit...
BMW garages had loads of them a while back as the were changed (brand new) for the uprated Cooper S ? conversion that was done at the UK garages themselves.
You should be able to go to .7 Bar without reliability problems. That should yield around 190 BHP.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Thansk tobytronic, I wasnt considering spending anywhere near that, my freindly mechanic said if I can get a suitable supercharger he will get it to work :D , whether this is just attaching a samco hose from the supercharger to the air intake? would that do anything?

As my car did have a/c and the pump is now removed could a supercharger be fitted where that was?. Im not looking for huge BHP, I may not even go through with it but its just a idea.

Thanks
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hello, the £2K was just an example, to illustrate how relatively cheap a pro'company has managed to achieve it.

A supercharger (Ebay, £180 brand new!) from the aforementioned MINI has the advantage of having an in-built lubrication system for the bearings. So therefore it would be feasible and easy(ish) to fit in place of aircon' unit.

The existing engine management system may well have problems supplying sufficient/corrrect fueling. A source of ideas for providing more fuel is covered in a book called 'Tuning Modern Engines' or something like that, it's an Australian book.

You'll need to fabricate a simple adapter for the outlet side (see your local central heating supplier). If you are feeling adventurous LPG has an octane rating of around 110 (petrol 95/97).

This should have enough antiknock capacity to stop detonation (pinking).
LPG has been run at up to 14:1 compression ratio without probs'.
You can always try it then Ebay it as an 'ongoing project'. If using the original Bosch fuel injection, the AFM goes before the supercharger. Try researching Eaton type superchargers. Good luck.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Thanks again guys, will keep you posted. I love the valver but dont always like bouncing it off the rev limiter so some lower down "shove" would be a great.
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

If you are going for low pressure then good condition standard internals are ok but as luke said, lower compression and stronger parts would be best. The eaton superchargers will give you low down grunt but they're fairly big, if you spend a bit more you can get a rotrex unit with is about the size of an alternator and is more turbo like in its power delivery, i want one of these :D Megasquirt ECUs can be had for about 250-300quid as a base price, if you spec other optional extras it goes up a bit but theyre not neccessary extras. I won mine from Mtechautomotive through ebay for 270 and they built it to my spec, these are ideal as they are fully mappable and there are lots and lots of options that you can add on at any stage very easily.
tim leech
7000 rpm

Post by tim leech »

Theres loads of min superchargers on ebay for a couple of hundred quid, the only thing is if I can make it fit! :D
daaristieweer,wiedurft
Tick Over

Post by daaristieweer,wiedurft »

docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

"need a bigger one" :roll:

I'm not at all sure I like the way that was strapped down...
pink bumpered van... Clearly worth the effort...
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver