BX 4x4 Rear Driveshaft Bearing Replacement

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
Anonymous

BX 4x4 Rear Driveshaft Bearing Replacement

Post by Anonymous »

Hi, I've just put the engine back into the car, after doing the clutch. Unfortunately I allowed the rear subframe/diff to tilt substantially which pushed the driveshaft forward and ripped the rubber bearing surround from the shaft bearing. How do I get this driveshaft bearing out/off so that i can replace?
Thanks for your help.
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

sounds like you mean the CV boot (and i've recently done something very similar), two options, remove the drive shaft and take the CV off, then replace the boot and refit. Or you can buy super stretchy CV boots which with a special tool and some lubricant allow you to stretch the boot completely over the CV so it does not need removing from the shaft.
Anonymous

BX 4x4 Rear Driveshaft Bearing replacement

Post by Anonymous »

Vanny, thanks for your reply, but no its not the CV boots. Being a 4x4 its the driveshaft from the engine/transfer box to the rear diff unit. There's a bearing half way down which supports the driveshaft and keeps it located. It has a rubber mounting which has ripped from the bearing, which I need to replace. Part number is 280615
Does anyone have this part available?
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

PROP shaft not drive shaft then, explains my confusion,

its item number 3 in the above picture and is no longer made/available from citroen. Its hard to derive from the picture exactly how it works/ what it looks like, i assume there is a normal bearing in the middledoes that mean the rest is rubber? If so then i suggest you might be able to cut out a piece of polybush material to the right shape and use a metal strapping to hold it all together?

I can't get to the farm for several weeks to look at the 4x4 there and see how easy a solution can be made, but it looks like a fairly regular component. And should you need it i get large amounts of poly bush material for free.
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Like Vanny says, it's not available from Citroen (or pug) anymore, so Your best bet it to get one from Mercedes 200, 1978.
Drive shaft support Ref. 123 410 10 81 Art. no. 014 041 0045 made by Meyle
price is cca 20 quid.

You will also need bearing:
made by NTN TOYO Bearinges Japan, part number 6006 llu/2au1
price cca 5 quid.

Cheers

Ziga
Image Don't run your life on diesel
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

How on earth did you know that? Experience or magic?
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the project t16 he hads maybe V man??
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

yeah i was thinking that, but its hardly a small leap from citroen to Merc.
Also, t16 is an engine not a transmission system :D but i thought there was a 4x4 system invovled somewhere.
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Well owning T16 as a daily driver brings lots of joys and lost of problems too, You would be amazed how many parts are no longer available for T16.

So we owners are looking for all sort of ways how to solve problems.

Yeah, the project car preferences have changed a bit too over the last year or so. Having T16, which is basicly exactly the same thing, just in a different body, what I was trying to build, and not only that, everything is homologated from factory so no problems at MOT.

Now I'm selling all my performance stuff which were ment for first BX project and going mental by building track only monster. it will be basicly BX supertourisme looking 400hp 4x4 beast. When it will be done? Dont know :D Maybe in 3 yrs time. Things are going slow as I have to maintain T16 and also collectithe money for the project car, all that with "student" budget.

Will open a topic about it in about 3 months, when there will already be something to see.

Cheers

Ziga
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

think you should start a topic on the T16 tbh, i want to see LOADS of pics!
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Will take some when it's done, here are some old ones:

Notice brembos and 15mm spacers.

Car has 200k km on the clock, have Brembos and R888s on it, now I'm putting refubed subframe on, all rubber suspension parts and steering parts will be replaced, bought gearbox with 120k km, clucth is new, have reinforced transferbox, bought low mileage turbo (housing on mine cracked), replaced exhaust mani with that crome one that I had as it was cracked as well. Bearing in rear beam are also new. Have relocated chargecooling cooler so now temps are a lot lower, cleaned injectors, have repaired and removed all rusty parts on body shell, will also fit bigger water radiator as some other goodies.

When done car will have cca 260HP which is more than enough. Must buy some better brake pads, stock ones just fade too much. Hopefully will be back on the road in cca 2 weeks time.

Cheers

Ziga
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

under the bonnet would be the money shot though :D

does look to be a rather serious car though, and something of a sleeper.
Mandic
4000 rpm

Post by Mandic »

Don't have under bonnet pic, never took one, will take it when the engine is back in.

And yeah, it's a hell of a sleeper, those tyres make it look clumsy and not sporty.

But sidewalls are stiff as hell. Kinda like Nascar style look :D

Cheers

Ziga
Anonymous

BX 4x4 Driveshaft Bearing

Post by Anonymous »

Vanny, thanks for your input. Where did you get the prop shaft parts diagram? Can you obtain off the web?
Ziga, thanks for your advice about the Merc parts. I'll try and obtain, and also see if any Citroen contacts can source the part. A local Peugoet club member has a spare propshaft & bearing but is keeping it incase his Mi16x4 requires it. I hope there's the part out there somewhere that I can source.

Cheers, Gordon
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

gordon, the details come from Citroens own parts list which you can register to use (for free) at http://service.citroen.com it also gives you the RRP citroen price and you can use it to contact your local dealer. Its a global system as well so it matters not where in the world you are.