engine rebuild and cam grind...

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
NZ16v
3000 rpm

engine rebuild and cam grind...

Post by NZ16v »

Hey guys, it looks as though my ride will be off the road for a bit, as the house we are building only has one car garage space(not my idea grrr). I t will be at the old mans,and as he has muchos space, was gonna get in and rebuild the engine,and give it a freshen up in the performance dept-cold air box, cam grind, chip and re-examine the exhaust.
Questions--

Is there something that anyone thinks MUST be replaced/rebuilt during this process? We will be thorough, but any advice would be great.

What is the ideal cam grind for a streeter 16v?I really would like something that would give a honda type-r a run for its money. I have read a thread from aussiefrogs about a guy in oz who does it,but misplaced his details.

Also, will tidy engine bay up, bit of polishing-saw what one of you guys did to the inlet manifold, nice!-and a bit of paint too.Over next three months or so, should have a new 16v!
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

polishing the inlet iss a long labourious task! worth having a spare to do it to just incase it takes you a bit longer than anticipated! but it does produce Brilliant results!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

engine

Post by Toddman »

On the rebuild side water pump and cambelt tensioners would be a good idea.
Oil pump can be inspected and while it is in bits a baffled sump is usefull.

Have a look on the mainsite links and you will see CatCams they are about the best around for the 16v and vernier pullies will also help.
A decent clutch and a couple of gearbox mods can also spice up the valvers performance.

The guy in oz is probably Peter t he is well known over here and highly thought of.

You might get a few ideas from clicking on my car below my avatar, it is not quite finished yet but is a pretty good street motor.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

thanks guys will look into it.As far as manifiold goes, car will be off the e road for a bit, so i think i have the time...i will get in touch with the cam guys when i finally get it apart. Am up in Auckland for a month for work, so am far away from the red rocket at present.
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

By the way todd- yuor car was the main reason i got into the 16v in the first place! I was trawling the intraweb and came across yours, forgetting just how good these cars are, and your little project really inspired me. Its a mint car mate, look forward to following progress.
Toddman
Administrator

valver

Post by Toddman »

Many thanks NZ 8)
I like to think the car has come together nicely - I could of made it a lot faster/quicker but what I wanted was a reliable, nice to drive and long lived project.
The low mileage meant a bottom end rebuild was not really needed and the way the engine is set up with the gearing to match it will trundle around like a normal valver but if you want to get that little bit more it is there.
Only two serious jobs left to finish are the larger throttle body and then a proper remap where we can optimise the cam timing and get the best from everything.
The figures just don't reflect the way the car drives with the modified sphere and gearing.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch