Battery and Starting

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
cossie
4000 rpm

Battery and Starting

Post by cossie »

Hi guys
My 16v has sat on the drive for a week since I last started her.So today I txed her,she started fine,went to post office,taxed her (first time in 5 years)started ok there.I then thought I will give her a run up to a garage for some petrol and check tyres.Pressures were all over the place.
After I got petrol she would not start,sounded like a flat battery (new one) had to get two guys give me a push.She bumped ok,so I drove home,give her a bit of welly,she drives just great.
Turned off at home and restarted all ok,but she does this other times too,like at the MOT station last month?? she will or she wont start,any ideas?
I am told the alternator is charging ok.
I have replaced the earth strap from the battery tray too.Any other earth straps I need to look at?
Its wierd how she will start in the cold after standing a while but not after shes been driven a while.
1988 16v

2002 S-Type "R" (rocket?)
thanuttiscotsman
7000 rpm

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hiya it does certainly sound like an earth problem. maybe also check the battery terminals are well connected to their cables. i know there is more than one earth but not sure about locations. prolly best to wait till it wont start again then go down the earths with a multimeter to find the connection failure, it is prolly something silly as apposed to a major problem. mine wont start unless the strap on the tray is well connected, if mine is unscrewed or loose it struggles.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Big project chipped, k+N, scorpion s/s, weber throttle body, Nitrous injection

1990 BX 16v ph2 (now scrapped)
exman
Tick Over

Post by exman »

i had that once think it was live stud on starter motor broken could be bad earth though
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

Sounds like a high resistance starter solonoid.
They quite often work ok when cold but snuff it when there's some heat in them..

Have you tried bridging the trigger to the big positive terminal?
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

Sounds like exactly the same problem i am having with my starter motor on my new P2- sometimes it works,other times you gotta wiggle a couple of wires comin off alternator to get it starting. Sorting it out this weekend-there is a fantastic sticky on aussiefrogs from Alan S(r.i.p) all about the starter and how to get at efficeintly. Bit of DIY will sort you out no problem chum!
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
cossie
4000 rpm

Post by cossie »

Thanks for the replies guys,its too damn cold to play with it right now.Took her to work last night and she started this am ok,and last night.
I have changed a starter motor a couple of times on Ians 16v's.Think I done the last one in 2 hours.
Radiator out job,then?
Are there any other earths to check? I fitted a new cable on the battery tray to gearbox.
1988 16v

2002 S-Type "R" (rocket?)
Toddman
Administrator

starting

Post by Toddman »

Could be a few different things but mostly covered already :D
The OE battery terminals are prone to "stretching" which can cause no end of niggles so a good move is to chop them off and replace with some good quality aftermarket items.
As doc says the solenoids are also a weak point, personally I beleive that the 16v solenoid is just the same poart used on the lesser power starters which mean the solenoid just isn't man enough for the currents involved hence why they so often fail.

Easy way to check the earth is just to run a jump lead from the battery earth to the engine block when you get the problem and IF you can get in there bridging the solenoid will tell you if that is the trouble.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

fit XUD 9TE starter

job done!

(its also tiny and a doddle to fit)
NZ16v
3000 rpm

Post by NZ16v »

Definitely go for a newer starter if you gonna replace-as far as getting it out, its a inlet manifold out job-go to aussiefrogs, and there is the full instructions on a sticky thread there.PAys to check and refurbish all the wiring too while you down that way-be silly to have to take it off again!!!!
Would rather be driving ONE 16v,than fixng TWO.
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

it could be an iffy section on the original wiring to the starter,
the simple fix is to fit a relay on the starting circuit as that helps eliminate the old wiring by sending a full voltage through to it (iirc i have a 70amp relay fitted on mine), is a very simple job to do too (remove the ignition feed wire from the starter, replace with a new wire to run from the relay to the starter, connect old wire up to the relay feed side, then connect + and - up and Bingo!)

also worth if your changing the starter to seek out a td one as vanny said, the td starters have 1.1hp compared to the 0.9hp of the petrol versions, and the mi's do like a healthy starter! just make sure the number of teeth are the same! (mines a zx td one)

earths wise, there is the battery to chassis, battery to gearbox, gearbox to chassis and gearbox to battery clamp, i redid all of mine with Thick beefy cables and whilst at it (battery out) unplugged all of the multi plugs under the battery tray area gave them a clean up, light smear of vasalene and cable tied them back together, the earth cables i got from the local auto sparks and were very good prices! (the silly thick one was £7!)
with all of that done the engine Spins over very nicely!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
docchevron1472
4000 rpm

Post by docchevron1472 »

/\ what they all said!

Although you dont have to remove the manifold or the rad to get the motor out.
It's a bit more fiddly with everything in, but far from impossible.
I changed mine at the side of the road (in a wedding suit....)

What Timmo said about fitting a relay is very worthwhile.
1990 BX 16v Phase 2
1989 BX TD hybrid
1971 BL 350FG Ambulance (unique)
1993 Dennis Lance 132
That's when I reach for my Revolver
Mike E (uk)
4000 rpm

Post by Mike E (uk) »

1st check the small wire connection to the top of the solonoid, it is only a crimp termnal and it was intermittant on mine. I soldered directly to it and it was reliable again.

As suggested by Tim,
an extra relay really does work well.
The wiring to the solonoid goes via the keyswitch, and avoiding this long route with the extra connections gives the solonoid the full battery voltage, which I think will also reduce wear to the solonoid contacts.

Mike
Toddman
Administrator

starter

Post by Toddman »

I second accessing the starter from underneath - you can even remove the oil filter for a little extra room if you still have the OE unit which is quite large compared to some of th enewer ones.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

the Ginormous oe starter is a real pain to get out from either top or bottom unless you remove bits, like luke said thge oil filter helps!
if its one of the smaller starters the your okay! hell of a weight difference between the two too!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

I had the same problem and it was the starter which was the ori one from new but do clean the battery heads first that's the easiest to do.

To change it without manifold removal is almost impossible.
Mine has A/Cond and more hoses running about.
I even broke the oil filler connecting rubber hose (hard from age)
coz the starter has this big bracket behind with 2 11mm screws.

I too used a starter from the Xantia TD and now she starts really fast
like no BX has ever.