Engine transplant

All aspects of tuning,modification and repairs to the BX 16valve.
mark239
Tick Over

Engine transplant

Post by mark239 »

Heracy, I know, but I couldnt resist it.

I have 4 BX 16V's as it is - and was browsing ebay one night and came across a V6 that was too cheap to pass up. I got the box, loom, driveshafts, ECU and all ancillaries and manifold for £100!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0305070579

I know it fits in a 306.

Will it fit in a BX ? It's due to arrive tomorrow. If it starts, Im going to change the timing belt then give it a go.

If it doesnt fit, I'll either modify the car so it does, or put it in a 924 that I have.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

I don't think so, it barely fits in a Xantia,
BX has a smaller engine bay unless you lenghten the nose ala BX4TC
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

yes it will fit BUT!! from what i remember you'll need to grind away small area's of the block for the clearence,
am sure with a little techy nouse you'll have no probs!
a V6 Bx would Rock big time!

bear in mind that they do fit in a 205 engine bay so shouldnt see why it cant get in the bx one! ( www.205v6.com )
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

bays

Post by Toddman »

May well be possible but I wouldn't attempt it without some carefull thought and measuring.

The V6 may well fit in a 205 but the 205 doesn't have a lot of the extra bits and pieces in the way like the BX, there are a myriad of pipework at the back of the engine.

Also engine positioning will be governed by the alignment of the diff and driveshafts so I would expect it will be somewhat more involved than a bit of block grinding.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

from what i remmeber from nattering to my mech, because the lumps a pot narrowe on the width it should sit pretty spot on in the bay for diff alignment etc,
agreed its a little more involving than hacking a bit of the block as such and not to be undertaken by a numpty spanner man like me! but if youve the techy nouse then thye general fitting shouldnt bee to much of an issue, providing your good witht he measurements etc.

the only issue you may have is the mounting of the hp pumps etc and positioning the pipes like luke highlighted, that'll be where the toddman style techy nouse comes into its own! :wink: (looks for envious smily! :wink: :D )

the only thing if you are going to do it, make sure you do all the belts and give iut a good service before you drop it in! space will be at a premium once its inplace!

with the time, money and techy knowledge, you can fit any engine inany car with in reason, but a V6 bx would Rock!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

The radiator will definitely be a problem and if there's airconditioning
almost impossible. a turbo XM lump in may be abetter bet.
mark239
Tick Over

Post by mark239 »

Test fitting is tomorrow.

Aircon pump will be removed - as I'll be running it on a spare Emerald K3 ECU.

I'll mount HP pump where the power steering pump is.

Cooling system will be simple - thermostatic switch, relay and a fan. If it needs it, radiator in the back, the same as my Hillman Imp, and the exact opposite of my MR2 turbo.

My welding skills arent too bad - I managed to knock this up for my MR2 (I adjusted the wastegate discharge to take a 60mm wastegate rather than the paltry 40mm it was made for):

mark239
Tick Over

Post by mark239 »

surjit25 wrote:The radiator will definitely be a problem and if there's airconditioning
almost impossible. a turbo XM lump in may be abetter bet.
I've an activa with the aforementioned lump - and whilst torquey - it just doesnt have that noise !
Toddman
Administrator

engines

Post by Toddman »

Sounds like you have it all worke dout 8)
But tell me more about your Imp ? I had two of the 875cc Imps years back and they were cool, that engine paved the way for the sucess of Peugeot I reckon.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I considered a V6 transplant about 5 years ago but with using a 24V V6 from a Peugeot 605 ST24 (same as the XM engine) The problem was that this engine is a 90 degree V and barely fitted in the engine bay. It would of with custom mounts and some trimmming and rework of the inner wings, front member and bulkhead.
I was going to use this engine as I had a complete car for £100 IIRC and at the time the Xantia Exclusive and Peugeot 406's were too new and expensive.

I've felt for a longtime that this transplant was possible but would be best based upon a Xantia - I'm thinking that the Xantia would come with a hp pump and bracket already rather than have to mackle the Bx pump onto the 406 gearbox. Although the problem would be that all the Xantia's were automatics and you'd have to source a manual box.

As Luke has already said, there is a lot of pipes on the back of a Bx engine / subframe and you'd have to consider exhaust clearance / routes.

Everything is possible with enough money / time / experience :D

Remember that you'd have to consider changing the dash clocks to suit a 6 cylinder rev input.

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
mark239
Tick Over

Re: engines

Post by mark239 »

Toddman wrote:Sounds like you have it all worke dout 8)
But tell me more about your Imp ? I had two of the 875cc Imps years back and they were cool, that engine paved the way for the sucess of Peugeot I reckon.

Cheers
Luke
I've 2 - a singer chamois and an Imp Super.

The super has 1900 miles from new (1971) and heres a pic of her

Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

Thats a real Cracker!
Timmo 8)

Its Because its French!
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

Beautiful Imp, I almost bought one too some time back but
parts availability was an issue here.
plus engine always blows it's head gasket so I backed off.
I know a chap here who has 3-4 of them two for racing,
one has a Nissan March engine transplanted behind.

Those round tailigts and signal lights are used on countless
britishh cars cars even Rolls Royce use them .
mark239
Tick Over

Post by mark239 »

They give overheating and head gasket issues if they arent looked after properly - if they are looked after, theyre very reliable.

The engine was originally a water pump.
surjit25
4000 rpm

Post by surjit25 »

There was some fire engines here with auxiliary water pumps using these engines.