Front Seat removal

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Front Seat removal

Post by Channel Hopper »

Any idea ?

The seats move forward and back on the rails, and I was expecting some locking nut on one of the end stops, but there is nothing.

I cant see anything on the lock handle either

Am I missing something really obvious?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Look under the front edge of the seat bottom.

There are 2 clips that you have to pop off with a long flat blade screwdriver or similar. You then have to release the 2 elastic bands that are on sprags on the back, if they haven't gone missing. Thats the bottom of the seat done with.

There are then 5 off IIRC socket cap head bolts that fasten downwards. Sometimes hex allen key or star bit / Torx, I've not worked out the logic as too which it will on what age car. Push the seat backwards and release the front 2, slide the seat forward and do the back 3. IIRC one is a bit awkward to get at due to the seat back angle and the socket has to go straight onto the ratchet.

The back outside of the seat runners sit on a black metal spacer thing, refitment can be awkward trying to get these and the floating nuts in the floorpan to all line up.

Also be aware that there are different seat belt buckles. Check that they are compatible with the male end of the seat belt before fitting, it really is disheartening taking the seat back out to swap the buckles, been there and done it :lol:

It's been a while since I did this, so I await to be corrected.

Mike P.
Founder member of the Phase 1 Appreciation Society!
- - - - -
'88 'F' White Bx16v - 62k miles & as seen on TV
Vanny
Web Support

Post by Vanny »

sounds about right to me Mike, and i've noticed that there is no correlation to the bolt type between model or age, always very random as to which you might encounter.

I use a ratchet spanner with a bit adapter to get to the difficult bolt.
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

Thanks

I must have been thinking about the VW Scirocco(s) I had years ago. One bolt was all it took to remove them.

Oh well, will try again tomorrow, not looking forward to it owing to the water and dead snails in the footwells.
Simran
4000 rpm

Post by Simran »

When you undo the front ones, tilt the seat base backwards with the adjuster and it gives you loads more space, do the opposite to the rear and you can get to that difficult bolt on the inner fairly easily. Ive got a miniature ratchet handle which makes getting to that difficult bolt on the back really easy.
Channel Hopper
Tick Over

Post by Channel Hopper »

Thanks to all of you, exactly as described, though this model had torx bolts throughout.

But the rails of the BX are only 41cms apart meaning the seats cannot be fitted into the ZX, not without a complete bespoke subframe assembly.

But on the positive side, I found a fiver in the bottom of the coin holder while I was removing them. :D