To break or not to break....whats it worth??

All chat, general/off topic/banterish and questions relating to the BX16valve.
Kitch
5000 rpm

To break or not to break....whats it worth??

Post by Kitch »

Thought I'd raise the question on the actual valver forum and gather some opinions.....

Some may or may not know I recently acquired another BX 16v just before I moved house. It was/is in a pretty sorry state. Been sat off the road since 2001 and very very pink when I got it!
I had the car MOT'd a month ago, purely to see what it would fail on. 3 pages is what it failed on!

CV boots, pipes, all tyres, lights, ABS lamp, ram leaking, P.R leaking, brakes innifective....everything except rot amazingly! It's remarkably rust free, even though it's been sat around outside alot.
I've sunk a fair chunk of money into it already with parts, and spent the best part of the last three days outside trying to right some wrongs.
I've stopped the P.R leaking, the lights are pretty much there, the remote locking works now, the heater is now working, the sunroof now works and some of the panels are now red again:

Sadly they're different types of red. The OSR door doesn't matter....it's stoved in and a replacement on the cards. The top of the OSF door is the correct red, as are the skirts and roof. The rear arch spats, front wings and bonnet however are not the correct red, although they're all shiney now anyway :lol: It needs a mop to get the heavier clouding out of the roof and bonnet though.

Now it's been my intention to fix the car up and sell it. I did consider keeping it as a track weapon, but the twin's will probably see that out the window! I was happy to pump money and time in if I was going to make it back and price it out of the vulture's hands with a tidy example.

But so far it's not looking like it's going to be that tidy. It runs well, but the body will never be spot on until it's resprayed so it all matches. I'm guessing it's been painted in areas in the past due to vandalism or something, and over the years it's faded different shades. It's possible it was painted the wrong shade all the way back then!

So my question to everyone is....what would this car be worth with a years ticket? It's got loads of history, the engine runs well. No aircon or anything and it's a 2 row car. The door will be sorted, the original remote locking works and it's have a new cambelt and a service.
Only thing to let it down, other than the paint is that the tyres all failed the MOT on weathering, not wear. I'm not going to buy 4 new tyres costing over £200, because frankly it would be easier to go and drop my wallet down a drain. I'd MOT it on my other BX's alloys and then state it needs 4 new tyres on the ad.
Mind you, I paid under £85 for a pair of Toyo Proxes on mine, so 4 tyres it's the end of the world.

And bearing in mind whatever value you place on the car, would you repair it or break it for spares? With kids on the way I just want to do whatever would provide me with the most cash! :lol: It might not be alot, but it all helps!

Cheers
Timmo
Full Throttle

Post by Timmo »

if you were closer then i'd happliy put the machine polisher aorund it for you gratis matey,

whats it worth?? its a tough one as some fully tested go for £300 yet others clear £700,
you'd prolly get £50 for the alloys (unless you try the bxclub! then it'll be a tenner!!) 50-80ish for the interior say, more if its mint,
the bumpers if good should help out as the p2 ones are rare to get hold of good,
i dont know the rate currently for the engine and box but would have though a good one, history ready to go should see £350-400?? (bear in mind the price spoox still charge for Mi's out the car, may be a bit more??)
i suspect that add in all the rest of the little bits and bobs then you'll prolly make around decent money in parts as you could for top end of average if you know what i mean??

to be honest matey if its a space and time thing then you may be best as tryihg to sell it as it is otherwise you may well end up with a garage full of odds and ends for a while!??!

i think to make decent money on these cars they need to be spot on and loaded with history and as low a milage as possible, they are still a desired taste and as such have a limited audience so to get the eye they need to be gooduns,

considered it here and there over mine as to what its worth whole or inparts when a little down, but normally manage to talk my self out of it!!
Timmo 8)

After all i am the Cornish one!

Its Because its French!
Bx16v club - Sharing the love for the unloved!
Toddman
Administrator

value

Post by Toddman »

It is a tough one mate.
The demand for engines has definitely passed its peak but a decent set up has to be worth £400 depending on lileage so a tatty but MOT'd and useable car must surely be £500 but as Timmo has said there is no consistency at the moment what we look on as reasonable examples get no interest then a rat comes on ebay and gets a fair price.

Chuck some part worns on it and try to run it for a bit whilst advertising it for sale you may strike it lucky and someone may come along wanting a little project.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k almost up to scratch
Kitch
5000 rpm

Post by Kitch »

I've decided to go for it. I've got a door and exhaust lined up tomorrow with Mat on BXC, and once they're on it's CV boots, return hoses, rack leak and lighting issues. Then another MOT and see if the brakes are working properly, as they wouldn't test them (or the exhaust) because there was an LHM leak at the PR and a major exhaust leak.

Fingers crossed!
Andy G
Tick Over

Post by Andy G »

well done sir,